iOS 8 Out

Kevin
Contributor II

It popped up on my iPhone at 11:53CST. I then hit the reality that I could not update because I only had 5.2GB free on my phone. It needs 5.7GB to install!

Ouch!

13 REPLIES 13

jgwatson
Contributor

That's a big ouch....my iPad Air needs 6.9Gb to update to iOS 8 and I only have a 16Gb iPad Air.

jstandre
New Contributor III

Yeah, big ouch. I went ahead and wiped my iPhone to update. Sometimes it is nice to just start fresh.... <partial sarcasm>

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

Tested a download on one of our iPad Air 16gb, it wants 6.9 GB to install. This is going to cause a huge problem...

Oh, and our OSX Server Caching service did not cache it. Lovely.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Caching server only caches it once one client downloads it first directly from Apple, so that may be why its not cached yet, or it may just not be working.
EDIT: I stand corrected - https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11827 - nice going Apple!

Anyway, 5.7 GB, 6.9 GB. Apple needs to find a way to slim down these updates. No wonder Apple released new iPhones with upped storage. Heck, even full OS X installs typically don't come that big? What did they include in this update?
That said, I wonder if it actually uses all that space or just requires that much during the install (as it moves stuff around, expands install packages, etc) and then releases some of that later. Anyone know?

jstandre
New Contributor III

I think the base OS is up to about 5GB-ish. So when you buy a 16GB iPhone you start with about 11GB of free storage.

I don't understand why they did away with the 32GB iPhone and are keeping the 16GB. It seems that we are close to a point where 16GB is just too small.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Agreed. I thought that was a strange decision too. I suppose they want to keep a very low end model around that someone who doesn't plan on ever adding a lot of apps, music, photos, etc to available. But I sure wish they had bumped them all up across the board. I agree 16 GB is just too small now, especially because we can't expand the space with anything external.
When I got my iPhone 5S late last year I opted for the 32 GB model, because I was constantly wrestling with space on my previous 16 GB one. Even so, I will STILL need to clear out some stuff on my 32 to make room for this update at some point. Ugh...

jstandre
New Contributor III

Just wiped a 16GB iPhone and installed iOS 8. After the install, 11.2GB of free space remains. Looks like the base OS is up to about 4.8GB.

peineke
New Contributor III

The caching server will not currently cache ios8.

musat
Contributor III

I updated my iPad through iTunes (instead of over the air) and it worked with only 1.5GB free.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Sitting on 17 hours to download the update an iPad 4

Lovely.

Kevin
Contributor II

I advised my users to connect to iTunes and download the update that way–it drops the required space on the device to less than 2GB.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Spam spam spam. Where is that "Report post" button, @jake?

jake
Contributor II
Contributor II

@RobertHammen -

Thanks for the heads up. We're on it. You will see one in the very near future.