iPad Profile for Lock Screen Message

ehstein
New Contributor II

I've configured a Configuration Profile to display a message with our client's phone number and the device's Asset Tag. In the event the device is found it can be returned to the owner.

However, the devices aren't being updated with their Asset Tags, that variable is showing as blank. If I modify the config and push the update, the devices will show their correct Asset Tags. But if I onboard a new device, the field shows blank.

Can someone help me understand the logic of how the variable information is pushed out to devices? I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

ehstein
New Contributor II

Any thoughts on this...?

coachdnadel
Release Candidate Programs Tester

In my instance, my iPads are named using the MUT. However, the config profile is pushed to the device before the iPad is named. The config profile uses the information on the device when it is pushed so my name is always iPad. Once I rename the iPad and repush the config profile, everything works as expected. You could always push the config after assigning your asset tag.

ehstein
New Contributor II

Our iPads are named as part of the PreStage Enrollment when they are onboarded for the first time. Isn't this the "best practice" for naming the device? After all, there's a whole tab in the PSE setup devoted to device name. Doesn't that mean that this is done the very first time the device "walks in the door", even before any of the config payloads are sent to it?