Jamf Pro Open Source Management Tools - Cargo Ship & Tugboat

uurazzle
Contributor II

FYI:

Continuing our tradition of building custom tools to enhance our existing environment, we've begun building creating a set of applications that allow us to quickly find and make changes to specific machines in the Jamf Pro database. We're calling the collection: SCL Jamf Tools. The first of these tools: Cargo Ship and Tugboat use the Jamf Pro (referred to as Jamf for the rest of this article) API to drill into its depths and help our staff quickly perform tasks that would ordinarily require them to use the Jamf web interface.

Cargo Ship gathers policy and profile information from the Jamf database and then pulls down individual computer records and presents that information in a condensed, easy to digest format.

The driving force behind Tugboat is a project meant to make our Jamf server the center of our inventory efforts in the Marriott Library, keeping track of the desktops, laptops and mobile devices. We’ve added many EA’s to extend the description of a computer, like what the primary purpose the machine is, how it was paid for, how old it is and where it is physically located. Our goal is to be able to ask questions like “Which department has the oldest desktops” or “Why does this person have so many machines” or “How many machines of a certain specification do we have in storage” and get useful information in return.

Both of these tools are written in Python for cross platform usage and keep external modules use to a minimum. The GitHub pages for each project feature a more in-depth discussion of usage and suggestions for integration into your specific environment. We’ve included pre-built versions of both tools for environments with no need to customize them. Py2app was used to build the MacOS applications and cxfeeze for the Windows version.

Here is the blog post:

https://apple.lib.utah.edu/?p=2057

Here is the GitHub repository, where you can download the tools, review the code, etc.

https://github.com/univ-of-utah-marriott-library-apple/scl_jamf_tools

21 REPLIES 21

retroroscoe
Contributor

Thought I'd try it, but, it wont login with my usual admin account

uurazzle
Contributor II

Hello @retroroscoe :

Are you using an account sourced from a LDAP group? Currently, there is a bug with the JSS using LDAP groups.

Jamf LDAP Groups Bug We attempted to utilize Jamf LDAP Groups to give to proper rights to individuals belonging to certain Active Directory groups, unfortunately a bug in Jamf Pro (Product Issue PI-003395) is currently preventing this method. We hope that Jamf is able to correct this issue soon. Having this functionality intact would allow us to manage users at the AD layer, instead of using Jamf. Limiting the number of places changes need to made when a staff members status changes, limits the possibility of omissions or errors being made. We encourage others to raise this issue as one vitally needs to be addressed with their Jamf technical representatives.

And you also need to make sure the user has the correct permissions...

See our blog post for detail: https://apple.lib.utah.edu/?p=2057

Let me know if you still have issues.

retroroscoe
Contributor

Hi, yes it is from an LDAP group.
But I also tried the main admin account and that failed as well

uurazzle
Contributor II

@retroroscoe anything in the logs you can send to troubleshoot the issue?

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@uurazzle

Is Product Issue PI-003395 with SSO? We see the issue with SSO and without SSO it work as it should.

C

uurazzle
Contributor II

@gachowski We’re not using single sign-on.

This is our open issue where we diagnosed the issue: JSS LDAP Groups not applying to API access. We will confirm with a Jamf TAM and post back.

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

@retroroscoe Which tool did you attempt to use?

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@uurazzle

I miss read your post!!! am having a different issue

Super sorry !!!

C

uurazzle
Contributor II

@retroroscoe: by "main admin account", you mean the JSS admin account vs macOS local admin account?

retroroscoe
Contributor

yes the JSS admin account that is created when you first set up a JSS

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Old thread, I know, but FWIW, unable to log into CargoShip with JSS v. 10.0.0.

With my usual admin account, the default admin, and an account I created specifically for testing, it simply tells me "Invalid username or password".

Anyone else notice issues with JSS v10.x?

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

Thanks for checking out Cargo Ship!

Hmmm... Are you using the most recent release from September? It's a little bit more verbose about why a login may fail. It's also possible you're seeing a bug in both Cargo Ship and Tugboat with LDAP users. I've corrected the issues internally, but the code isn't on GitHub yet.

I'm going to try to create a new release before the end of next week. I'll post again in this thread when it's available.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Yep - release 041117 from the GitHub. Only one of the 3 accounts I tried was LDAP, the other two were local to the JSS. Happy to troubleshoot anything if you'd like, but happy to wait - just stumbled across Cargo Ship on the new marketplace page, and wanted to take a look.

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

I've posted updated versions of Cargo Ship and Tugboat. At your convenience, please grab the new versions and see if they solve the login issue you were seeing. Thanks!!!

chris_hansen
Contributor

AD user worked for us on this version.
Thanks!

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

Hi Chris. If you have time to answer a couple questions about these tools, please email me at [todd.mcdaniel@utah.edu](mailto:todd.mcdaniel@utah.edu)

Thanks!

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

I've released new versions of Tugboat and Cargo Ship. Changes to both include creating a preference file that will record the JAMF servers you've connected to and present them in a drop-down menu in the login window. And some UI touch ups to Cargo Ship.

We've also created a channel specifically for our tools on the MacAdmin slack: #uofu-mariott-tools. Please join us there for support and discussion of our tools.

uurazzle
Contributor II

Here are the tools we have made available to the community...

https://github.com/univ-of-utah-marriott-library-apple

MatG
Contributor III

I just can't get these to login.

LDAP account or local account both just give the

Generic error from https://

todd_mcdaniel
New Contributor III

Hi Mat,

Thanks for trying our tools. Please make sure you're using the most recent versions, Tugboat is at 1.7.1, Cargo Ship is 1.0.4.

Is that the full error you're seeing? Without a server address?

uurazzle
Contributor II