JSS or MySQL error

JeremyL
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I originally posted about having issues with response times on 10/31/12 but didn't get anywhere. Here I am late May still with the same issue and it seems to only be getting worse. I'm using Casper Suite 8.7 on Mac OS 10.6.8, Xserve (Late 2006) Here are some symptoms:

- While trying to compile an image the JSS was completely inaccessible and when the compilation was trying to create the final dmg I got an error that the distribution point was unavailable and the compilation failed - I then had no remote access to the server and the JSS was still inaccessible (yet I could still ping) so I had to go restart the server.
- Since setting logs to be flushed at midnight and database backups to be done at 3 AM I've been getting errors in the MySQL service log (MySQL version 5.0.92 Source distribution):
130529 0:00:15 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Incorrect key file for table './jamfsoftware/usage_logs.MYI'; try to repair it
130529 3:06:55 {note} Found 23278243 of 23270804 rows when repairing './jamfsoftware/usage_logs'
- The inactive memory becomes so large that I frequently need to purge
- At the moment everything appears normal on the server. Server Monitor reports all hardware is functioning properly, system memory usage is normal. However the JSS is still responding extremely slowly - sometimes taking more than a minute to load the next page.
- When the JSS is inaccessible and I've lost remote access I'm still able to ping the server and get normal response times (this seems to be the most confusing)

I'm considering trying to move the database to a different server but I'm worried that if the issue is in the database that I'll still experience problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,
The first thing that jumps out at me is that you seem to have a non-supported version of MySQL, documentation states minimum requirement as MySQL 5.1 or later....
Don't know if that's the trouble, but maybe a place to start.
I have not used compiled configurations, so I have no advice with them.
Good Luck!
Sandy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,
The first thing that jumps out at me is that you seem to have a non-supported version of MySQL, documentation states minimum requirement as MySQL 5.1 or later....
Don't know if that's the trouble, but maybe a place to start.
I have not used compiled configurations, so I have no advice with them.
Good Luck!
Sandy

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am using 8.7 on 10.6.8 Server with MySQL 5.0.92 with no issues.

bbinder
New Contributor

Good thinking Sandy! I was just going to write that I had to make sure my mySQL install from the stock versions of 10.6.8 had to be upgraded in order to work correctly. Great place to start if you haven't done it yet.

bbinder
New Contributor

Dgreening, that is great to hear but not recommended by JAMF for your version of the Casper suite.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I do plan on updating once my renewal is done processing.

JeremyL
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm assuming by upgrading MySQL I could download the installer for 10.6 from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
However, is there a good resource that describes the safest way to stop the MySQL service and upgrade it? Would Tomcat also need to be stopped during the upgrade?

scafide
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey jlogsdon!

It sounds like our culprit is a database with some huge tables in it - I would most certainly recommend, if you haven't, to reach out to your Account Manager on this issue! There are a couple tips and tricks your AM will be able to provide regarding upgrading from 5.0 to 5.6, as well.

Mike

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Generally, I've seen this when there was no database retention policy set (meaning the database grows indefinitely). I'd recommend you set scheduled log dumps and keep the database lean and mean.

JeremyL
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I just wanted to revisit this post to say thank you again for everybody's help.

I've upgraded MySQL to version 5.5.30 along with the help of a JAMF engineer (a fairly smooth process). Since the upgrade I've not experienced any of the issues described above - and this is after getting to the point where I had to restart the server almost daily.

I hope anybody experiencing similar issues with unsupported/older versions of MySQL will see this post as a helpful suggestion to upgrade.