/Library/Receipts

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I just noticed that when installing Office 2011 from Self Service, that it's putting .pkg files into /Library/Receipts. On 10.5 this isn't a problem, but in 10.6 this has been causing me a lot of policy errors when someone tries installing anything that uses pkgutil. Any idea why this is happening? My policy just installs the Office Installer -> SP1 Update -> Communicator Update. The weird thing is the updates are being placed in /var/db/receipts. I did a test of just installing Office by itself and everything installs properly, so it's definitely something with Self Service. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Allen

5 REPLIES 5

talkingmoose

Sounds like the /Library/Receipts path may be hard-coded into Self Service
On 6/1/11 8:09 AM, "GolbigA at mskcc.org" <GolbigA at mskcc.org> wrote:
for some reason. 10.6 has no reason to consider putting receipts there
anymore. The JAMF folks may want to investigate this one.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I bcc'd support. This has been a head scratcher for me. Should have assumed Self Service, but didn't.

Allen

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

I have seen some other installers do this (old Cisco VPNClient also does). I used ARD to do a "softwareupdate -l" (which will get all of the errors to display back into the ARD results window), then wrote a script to delete all of these receipts from /Library/Receipts.
On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:09 AM, GolbigA at mskcc.org wrote:

You could do something similar here, having the script nuke the bogus receipts from /Library/Receipts and running after the install.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Yep, I see those errors when running softwareupdate -l and when policies run that use pkgutil. I know I could run a script to clean up the folder, but I believe 10.5 uses /Library/Receipts and we still have quite a bit of leopard machines out there. I guess I could do a if sw_vers = 10.6 then clean up the folder. Maybe I should have this run daily to do a clean up of the folder.

Thanks
Allen

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

So this is getting stranger.

installer -pkg Office Installer.mpkg -target / installs correctly, receipts in /var/db/receipts, no errors
jamf install -package "Office 2011 Installer" -path ~/Desktop/ -target / installs correctly, receipts in /var/db/receipts, no errors
jamf policy -id <policyid>, which is essentially running the self service policy, It will install, but receipts in /Library/Receipts for 14.0.0 and I will see the following error in install.log

PackageKit: invalid package /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Office Installer.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Office2011_en_quit.pkg has no bundle identifier
Package File://localhost/Library/Application%29Support/JAMF/Downloads/Office%20Installer.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Office2011_en_quit.pkg<File:///Library/Application%29Support/JAMF/Downloads/Office%20Installer.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Office2011_en_quit.pkg> not supported by PK
installer: Will use IF session:

What is IF session? When it works properly I wont see that error and I see installer: Will use PK session.

Any thoughts? I know I could write a script, I already have one put together, but I'd like to get this resolved.

Thanks
Allen