MacBookAir 8,1 in Jamf Pro 10.11.1

maiksanftenberg
Contributor II

Hi.
I do have a question.
I realised that our latest MacBook Air devices are displayed only as MacBookAir 8,1 and not as MacBook Air (13" inch, late 2018) or similar.

Is there a reason for this? All other devices are shown with the correct Model name.

Thanks for advice.

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Jamf Pro has long used a local lookup table of some kind that converts the model identifier into the "human readable" computer name inside the product. Unless Jamf has included a conversion from MacBookAir8,1, then all you will get displayed is the model identifier. So in this case it looks like they haven't included a conversion from model identifier to full name, at least not in whatever version of Jamf Pro you're running.
It could be that you need to upgrade your Jamf environment if it's running an older release. Since that model was introduced in Oct 2018, I imagine they've included it by now, so I'd say it may be the version of Jamf Pro you're running that's at issue.

tony_schaps
Contributor
Since that model was introduced in Oct 2018, I imagine they've included it by now, so I'd say it may be the version of Jamf Pro you're running that's at issue.

Nope, unfortunately, same thing in 10.11.1.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@tony.schaps OK, thanks for that info. That's pretty dumb then. Jamf needs to stay on top of updating the model identifier stuff in their product if they are going to insist on using this method. Several of us have already outlined other more reliable ways of getting real model names from Apple directly which Jamf could do too, but they seem to be sticking with their simple lookup method, despite the fact that it's never going to be 100% reliable.

tony_schaps
Contributor

@mm2270 agreed-- I'm finally getting all the 2013 and 2014 MacBook Pro's cycled out, but for five years now I've had to ignore that both are reported in Jamf as "Late 2013" because their model identifiers are the same (MacBookPro11,2). Now, Apple should not have issued them with the same model identifiers, true, but why Jamf could not be smart enough to look at the last four digits of the serial # to confirm either 2013 or 2014, I do not know.
But if they haven't fixed that in five years, not holding out hope this will be fixed. Sorry grouchy today...

CorkCityShuffle
New Contributor III

This is a known issue, documented under

PI-006735 Jamf Pro fails to display the correct name for Model in computer and mobile device inventory information for 2018 devices
and
PI-006983 Jamf Pro fails to display the correct model of device in a PreStage enrollment