macOS 10.12.1 Sierra Login Window

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I have a few Macs that I'm testing the new 10.12.1 Sierra update on (build 16B2555).

After the 10.12.1 update was installed, the Macs are longer show any of the usual data in the menu bar of the Login Window (top right corner). No clock or Wi-fi are shown (including the custom hostname, IP, OS version/build etc).

I have a JAMF Login Window Configuration Profile (which I thought may be related), but I removed/excluded it on some of my 10.12.1 Macs and the problem did not get resolved - The OS X menu bar is still missing at the Login Window.

Has anyone noticed this in 10.12.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Issue is resolved in macOS 10.12.2 (16C67).

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I don't recall having any of that on my login windows for any OS version, just the time/battery/wifi icons.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

It's been there for years (maybe every version of Mac OS X actually). By default it shows the OS X clock. There are cutomizations that can be made to allow it to toggle between other attributes like hostname, IP, etc. These settings live in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist I think. I edited my inital post to clarify.

strider_knh
Contributor II

I noticed that same thing. I contacted a support person at Apple, who was working another case with me, and his response was "That is an odd behavior." He has since been able to reproduce it and open a case.

stevevalle
Contributor III

We use the following to display the host name on login screen

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo HostName

I updated my Mac to 10.12.1 this morning and ran the above. Logged out and I was able to view the appropriate info by clicking on the time (Name, OS Version & IP Address) It did take about 5 seconds for the icons and text to appear once I logged out.

528b8ab918cb45caa76e8d85333ed644

franton
Valued Contributor III

Be careful of enabling language options at loginwindow. I tried this back in the 10.9 days and found it causes random system lockup. As far as I know, it's still not fixed. The defaults write for the host name above is safe enough.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I just checked my 10.12.1 test Macs and all of them have the correct preferences configured.

testMac1:~ admin$ /usr/bin/defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo
HostName

In case these was voodoo involved, I re-ran the defaults command and rebooted. No change.

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo HostName

I can reproduce this issue 100% on any 10.12.0 Mac that I update to 10.12.1 via SUS.

Ill try and run the stand-alone 10.2.1 updater package next.

ehemmete
New Contributor II

My experience with this has been that the info comes back once I select a user to log in as. Then I can click the clock to see the additional info as previously worked. Can anyone confirm if that works for them? At the login window, select an account to bring up the password field and see if the system status area comes back.

More info, I can confirm what everyone else is seeing if the login window is set to name and password fields. If you set it to show users, then you can get the status back by selecting a user. Since the functionality is still there, definitely seems like a bug, not a decision to remove it. File those Radars!

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@ehemmete I dont show a list of user accounts on my login winow. I force users to provide a both a user name and a password.

Edit: I modified my login window settings to "Show a list of users" per your example. You are correct - If I select a user account, then the menu bar items reappear. But as soon as I toggle the login window settings back to "Show user name and password" the issue returns. Thanks for this observation. Definitely a bug.

Even my family's Macs at home (non-managed, plain 'ol consumer Apple iMacs and MacBook Airs) are missing the login window data.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@strider.knh Would you mind sharing your AppleCare Case Number so I can reference it in my case with AppleCare?

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Also seeing this issue. I am in the process of testing to see if 10.12.2. beta resolves it, although I probably won't post the results of that test here.a113abd5b06a4f739456d7faa7559720

neilmartin83
Contributor II

+1 seeing this issue on 10.12.1 only - Our 10.9 (glad to be getting rid soon), 10.10 and 10.11 clients are showing the info properly. We manage this setting with the Login Window configuration profile payload.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@neil.martin83 Correct. 10.12.1 is indeed the culprit.

chisox1
New Contributor

seeing the same thing!

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I received confirmation that it will be fixed in a forthcoming update.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Issue is resolved in macOS 10.12.2 (16C67).

chisox1
New Contributor

Confirmed!

cubandave
Contributor

@dstranathan Please mark the resolution.