Managing more then one MDM profile

Not applicable

All,

I wanted to see who others were possibly handling this situation. I have configured a Mobile device profile for iPads and have settings for passcode, email, and certificates. I had it scoped to all devices. This was working well until we had a request to have a directors iPad changed so it only had the passcode and certificates with no email setup.

Here is how I got around that a few minutes ago. I now have all the previously configured devices in a static group and have the original profile scoped to that static group, I just did not include the directors iPad. I then created another static group with just his (director) iPad in it and then scoped the second profile to that static group. All the original ipads have the first profile with passcode, email, and certificates, and the director had the second profile with just passcode and certificates.

The problem I face is with new devices. We tried to enroll one just after I did this and it just sits at the OTA enrollment screen. I don't know exactly what I can do. If I scope the original profile again for all devices then the directory will get both profiles installed (I tried this and saw it happen).

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Sean

--
Sean Gallagher
Sr. Platform Engineer
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
100 Penn Square East 7th Flr.
Phila, PA. 19107
267-426-2607

1 REPLY 1

bbergstein
New Contributor III

The way we have set up our MDM profiles is that we have a separate profile set up for each setting/restriction. i.e. there is one for exchange info, one for passcode, one for wifi, etc. This allows us to scope each individual profile without affecting the others. In our situation, this allows us to have corporate users who are allowed access to things such as the app store and such, and retail users who have many more restrictions.

Everything gets a certain basic set of profiles, but everything else we have limited via AD group (but the same thing could be accomplished with static groups). This allows us to customize what each person gets if we want to.

Benji Bergstein
Client Strategies
Giant Eagle, Inc.