mass uploading Macs to DEP that may already be on another MDM

hdsreid
Contributor III

We have a bunch of computers with user enrollment on InTune but are not assigned to a DEP instance. I want to export the serials and upload them to Apple Business Manager to bulk add all eligible devices in one sweep. My concern is that it will cause issues with the InTune MDM management. They will eventually get migrated to Jamf via user enrollment, but in the meantime I would at least like to get them added to the ABM/Jamf DEP token so we have "ownership" of the devices if they are wiped any time soon

5 REPLIES 5

Danko
New Contributor III

It‘s not possible to register the Macs just via a list of serial numbersInto ABM. The initial registration must be done through a DEP Reseller. Just iOS devices can be registered through Apple Configurator to appear in the ABM.

After this step is done you can assign jamf or any other mdm server to the several serial numbers.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@Danko I have not found that to be the case. We have Macs that were purchased and have been successfully added to ABM after the fact by just entering the serial in.

Danko
New Contributor III

If they are already assigned to the ABM instance you just have to comma separate the serialnumbers, add the full list to the device assignment section and reassign them to the new mdm solution.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@Danko but this will not effect the computer's enrollment in the current MDM, correct?

Danko
New Contributor III

No. Assigning a device through ABM to a new mdm server will just take effect, when you are performing a resetup of the machine.