Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.27 is renamed

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

FYI, Microsoft updated their Remote Desktop app for Mac as distributed via the Mac App Store from 8.0.26 to version 8.0.27. HOWEVER, they changed the name. It is no longer "Microsoft Remote Desktop.app" it is now "MicrosoftRemoteDesktop.app" as such, it does not replace the old version when you update or deploy through Casper. Beware of aliases and Dock icons that don't point to the new version.

18 REPLIES 18

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for the heads up. I'd place a bet that version 8.0.28 will be back to "Microsoft Remote Desktop.app".....

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I just manually renamed new 8.0.27 to "Microsoft Remote Desktop.app" before imaging

nigelg
Contributor

Yep I ended up with a broken icon in my dock after upgrading.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I let the Office team know so they could forward it to the MS Remote Desktop team. Here's the response:
From Slack http://macadmins.org:

pbowden [3:02 PM] @bp: I just spoke to Eva in the RDP team. Looks like codesigning on our side screwed up the name of the app, so this was completely unintentional. They’re in the process of re-submitting a fixed version to the MAS.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Discovered this when the new one installed and the Dock icon broke.
Lovely MS...

thoule
Valued Contributor II

8.0.28 is out and they kept the name with no spaces.. Looks like that may be a permanent change.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Confirmed. Same name with no spaces. The only difference I can find in the description on the Mac App Store is "Fixed an issue where application name was not recognized" ... whatever that means. And then there's version weirdness like this: b7ad3cedddff45c9bb3f9ac47aa58082
So is it version 8.0.27057 or is it version 8.0.28? This actually has caused a lot of problems with previous versions when creating Smart Groups based on app versions.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Unreal QC - name is still sans spaces too.

242c1d897aa94419aa0668feae4b4227
bbe0319177cd47f29e4585eacd08d5f6
9a51581735f8449ca91043b4ed5c13e5

</array> <key>CFBundleExecutable</key> <string>Microsoft Remote Desktop</string> <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>8.0.28</string> <key>CFBundleIconFile</key> <string>qmote-512x512</string> <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> <string>com.microsoft.rdc.mac</string> <key>CFBundleName</key> <string>Microsoft Remote Desktop</string> <key>CFBundlePackageType</key> <string>APPL</string> <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key> <string>8.0.27057</string> <key>CFBundleSignature</key> <string>????</string> <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key> <array> <dict>

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I reported that issue to the office team to relay to the remote desktop team on Slack. You guys should really get on Slack (even if its just to interact with some of the vendors/reps who are on there). Complaining about it here won't do you any good if someone at Microsoft isn't aware of the issue.

http://macadmins.org
https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/microsoft-office/p1458320307000821

scottb
Honored Contributor

@bpavlov - appreciate your insights, but it's not complaining as much as letting others know that something changed that could effect their setups.
Slack is great, but it's also dizzying to keep up with it all and gets distracting. I file my share of bugs with Apple and others, and I think this was merely a place to let other's know that something is goofy (again) with this app.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Good point.

Just another thing to note. Assuming they didn't screw up the package versioning (not the versioning on the app, but the actual pkg) then if and when they release a new fixed version (if you haven't renamed the app to add in the spaces) then the new package's payload should take care of getting the app name with the proper spacing and remove the one with no spacing.

Clearly a couple of assumptions are being made here, but basically it comes down to if you've deployed it already and haven't renamed the app, don't rename it. You will want to update smart groups though. Wait until the new package comes out and then deploy that MAS-sourced pkg (assuming you're not using VPP user- or device-based app assignment) which should take care of fixing their mistake.

Jakov
New Contributor III

Today "Microsoft Remote Desktop" 8.0.29 (version 8.0.27077) came out. The spaces are back, but the versioning is still not fixed.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Is Microsoft aware of how their version numbers are making our jobs difficult? 99% of the apps in MacLand use the version displayed in Get Info as their version number. MS decided "Naaaaa.... we're not going to do that. That's too easy."

Will version 9.1 really be 8.4.4516371?

WHYYY Microsoft???? WHYYYYYY do you torture us so?!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

From Slack:
https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/microsoft-office/p1458920642001443

schwieb 11:44 AM @macdude22 yes we changed version string formats in 15.20 schwieb 11:50 AM CFBundleShortVersionString is the one you should be using 11:51 CFBundleVersion is the concatenated version of the particular build. major.minor.patch.buildday+buildrepeat macdude22 11:51 AM I will contact jamf and see what casper is looking at, I thought it was CFBundleShortVersionString, but that seems to not be the case schwieb 11:53 AM https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articl... Core Foundation Keys Describes the keys for a bundle's Info.plist file. 11:53 CFBundleShortVersionString CFBundleShortVersionString (String - iOS, OS X) specifies the release version number of the bundle, which identifies a released iteration of the app. The release version number is a string comprised of three period-separated integers. The first integer represents major revisions to the app, such as revisions that implement new features or major changes. The second integer denotes revisions that implement less prominent features. The third integer represents maintenance releases. The value for this key differs from the value for CFBundleVersion, which identifies an iteration (released or unreleased) of the app. This key can be localized by including it in your InfoPlist.strings files. 11:54 the key thing is we now use CFBundleVersion for all iterations (both released and unreleased) of the app macdude22 11:56 AM that all sounds reasonable, I was just curious if it was intentional or a mistake. Now that I know it is intentional I will make sure to modify my version checks in casper (and poke jamf about how casper, by default, is checking the version) schwieb 11:58 AM yep, intentional. we sometimes do multiple builds per day (at least for ios) as we get close to submitting to the iOS App Store and we needed to switch to Apple’s documented formats. 11:58 Mac and iOS share all the versioning infrastructure so Mac came along for the ride.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Yea, looks like Microsoft hired someone who doesn't bother to read Apple's guidelines.

"Let's invent a key for the Info.plist file so we an annoy Mac admins!" - Microsoft Dev Newbie "Whatever, its not like quality matters...not at my salary." - Microsoft Dev Lead

Here's what we see with the latest...

$ defaults read /Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleGetInfoString
$ defaults read /Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
$ defaults read /Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleShortVersionString
$

I wonder if PaulB over on Slack knows who's cage to rattle.

I don't remember iTap being this sloppy.

We're going with CFBundleGetInfoString because it matches what shows in Finder and App Store.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Anyone using Microsoft Remote Desktop would do well to jump on the new Beta.

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/5e0c144289a51fca2d3bfa39ce7f2b06/

IMHO, maybe Microsoft handed the existing version to newbies to "maintain" (ha!), so they can focus on the new (and very much improved) version?

HTH,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the beta link Don.

Testing is going well. Some interesting changes to the app.