Migrate from AirWatch to Jamf Pro

klemons
New Contributor

Has anyone migrated an existing AirWatch database to JAMF Pro? I have not been able to find JAMF information that helps with the process. The existing AirWatch database has approximately 500 users, 300 Macs, and 300 iPads. Any resources or suggestions that might help?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

martin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @klemons,

There is no white paper on this matter. Migrating devices to another MDM basically means manually reenrolling devices into the new MDM solution.

If you're using Apple Remote Desktop or have remote access via SSH to your Macs you can use the app Recon to easily enroll them into Jamf Pro. After (or before) that you can remove and install the new MDM profile.

For iOS you have two options:
1. Remove the MDM profile via settings or use enterprise wipe in AirWatch. Then goto the Jamf enrollment page on the device en install the new MDM profile. There are methods to make these steps as less as possible.
2. If you're using DEP, assign the DEP devices to Jamf Pro, wipe the device and it will enroll into Jamf Pro. If you're using iCloud backup you have to swap the devices in order to enroll them into Jamf Pro. If you do not do that the restore of the iCloud backup on the same device will install the MDM profile of AirWatch (because the MDM profile is in the iCloud backup).

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

First: congratulations on making the switch.

Second, there is no migrating of the data from AirWatch to Jamf. All computers will start with fresh inventory, application usage, and so on.

Third, you appear to have joined JamfNation for the sole purpose of posting this question. Your profile has no certifications listed. Have you already had your Jump Start session with Jamf? Depending on how many policies and configurations you had in AirWatch, it's going to take you a solid 1-2 weeks to rebuild the same stuff in Jamf Pro.

dogden
New Contributor III

Same situation here. We are switching from AirWatch to Jamf. I'm basically tired of the lack of zero-day (in AirWatch's case, zero-decade) support of Apple's software. I even forwarded AirWatch support an article to Jamf's link to how GSX is supported in Casper, 3 years later, still nothing. Good Bye AirWatch!

Anyway - on with the painful migration. We are moving desktop platforms first because the VPP issue with one MDM only paring is just to painful to face this late in the summer. I only wish Apple would allow more than 30 days to transition the license. An Apple engineer suggested assigning the licenses to Apple ID, away from device assignment, then move MDMs then move the license back to the device and away from the Apple ID. Seemed all too many steps. We have over 500 iPads to migrate from AirWatch into Jamf and I wanted to make the trip as easy and quickly as possible. I wish Apple allowed VPP to be temporarily assigned to mutiple MDMs for migration purposes. They probably don't get that request too often.

I'm new too, and have a lot of reading to catch up on with Jamf Pro.

prabe
New Contributor II

We went through the same scenario. Our environment is strictly iOS devices though. We had our end-users erase their devices after transferring the VPP Token and re-enroll into our JAMF environment. It was a overall success but it does take some planning for sure. The Token transfer went much faster than I expected. The support has been night and day difference from working with AirWatch and now with JAMF.