Mojave 10.14.2 - sometimes network connection cuts out?

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all,

I can't help but be vague about this, because I don't know what's going on.

Background: We are in an enterprise network, with proxies to block certain sites. This includes Apple.

I have started rolling out macOS Mojave 10.14.2 to our users. I am up to around 20-30 Macbooks. These users are now coming back with feedback saying the network cuts out at random times, for Safari or Chrome. Sometimes Outlook email. I have upgraded my own Macbook just to get the same experience they do. After 2-3 days of use, I also notice this.

The way to fix it is to reboot the Macbook. Kind of annoying. On average, people say they reboot 2 or 3 times a day.

Has anyone else experience this? Or you are an administrator and have receive support tickets regarding this? I'm not a network guy, so don't even know how to diagnose this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

milesleacy
Valued Contributor
proxies to block certain sites. This includes Apple

This or a related tool or practice is most likely your problem. macOS, particularly on current hardware, requires outbound communication with Apple services at key points in the computer’s lifecycle. MDM management requires communication with Apple and your MDM server.

I recommend engaging your Apple representatives and your internal networking and security teams to give these internal partners the information they need to understand, and have a level of comfort with Apple’s services and the security in place to protect these services and all of Apple’s customers, including and especially your organization.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We have a bunch of 10.14.2 Macs and the network connection is stable.

You could prove the point by using a Mac for a few days on a separate network, but ultimately you’ll be passing it to your network team to resolve.

Apple aren’t very flexible on the network requirements for macOS so your network may need to be adjusted to accommodate them.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@Bernard.Huang

What VPN or AV are you using? I have a few reports of this...

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/30284/need-some-help-hijacked-connection

C

milesleacy
Valued Contributor
proxies to block certain sites. This includes Apple

This or a related tool or practice is most likely your problem. macOS, particularly on current hardware, requires outbound communication with Apple services at key points in the computer’s lifecycle. MDM management requires communication with Apple and your MDM server.

I recommend engaging your Apple representatives and your internal networking and security teams to give these internal partners the information they need to understand, and have a level of comfort with Apple’s services and the security in place to protect these services and all of Apple’s customers, including and especially your organization.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

+infinity to what @milesleacy said...get the right people to the table, things get hashed out:

We had Apple, Jamf, our client's Networking team, and our internal Networking team on a call.

Everyone walked away with a better understanding/appreciation for the requirements. #done

--
https://donmontalvo.com