Mojave 10.14.6

yuenhongtang
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm new to JAMF. I have one task to do is to upgrading OS from 10.14.4 to 10.14.6. As i found a lot of guide but they are .app but if i download the upgrade from Apple it is coming with .dmg than .pkg. There is no .app so all the commend i found till now are not able to use. Anyone got any advise?
https://docs.jamf.com/technical-papers/jamf-pro/deploying-macos-upgrades/9.96/Packaging_and_Deploying_the_macOS_Installer.html
file:///C:/Users/yuenhongtang/Downloads/InPlace_macOS_Mojave_%20(1).pdf

8 REPLIES 8

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

The PKG will be wrapped in the DMG - just drag the PKG into Jamf Admin to get it onto your DP, then create a policy to distribute it accordingly.

yuenhongtang
New Contributor III

i tried to do that and followed but not working. Do anyone have one example that i can see that can run with .pkg

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

When you say it is not working, what's the error message you receive when you push it out?

One workaround is to use Composer to package it up in /Users/Shared or similar, and then use a command in 'Files and Processes' to actually perform the installation - we have needed to use that in the past.

leonwun
Contributor

As you're new to Jamf I would recommend trying it with a "Patch Management Policy". First, you go to Patch Management, click on "new" and add macOS. You have to upload the latest "macOSUpdCombo10.14.6.dmg" or "macOSUpd10.14.6.dmg" and add it as a definition. Then create a smart group for devices that are not 10.14.6 and create a patch policy containing the definition, scoping the smart group you just created.
You should set the Patch Policy to "Install Automatically" (and set other options to your preference).

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

One issue we saw was that the Certs that expired on 10/28 were not renewed on the combo update. Have not revisited it as were are looking at Catalina now

leonwun
Contributor

From what I know you don't have to use the combo update to go from 10.14.4 to 10.14.6. The normal .dmg should be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dmichels
Contributor II

I use a Policy: Apple Security Updates
- General (Enabled, Startup, Login, Logout, Recurring Check-in and Once Per Computer.
- Software updates
- Apple's Software Update Server
- Restart Options (Current Startup Disk, Restart if a package or update requires it, 5 Minutes
- Maintenance (Updates Inventory and Flush User Caches)

• two

yuenhongtang
New Contributor III

Sadly, My place do not allow cloud or Apple store. Makes it harder. We only running on-prem.