Moving JSS to New Server

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

We're performing a major upgrade to move our JSS/MySQL from a Mac Mini to a new Windows server, and I was wondering if anyone has any input on the best way to do this.

I was originally going to just re-enroll all systems with the new JSS, but I realized that we would definitely lose some FV2 recovery keys. Even if we back up and restore the current database to the new server, laptops with removable Ethernet adapters may end up creating a new system record if their current Ethernet configuration is different than when Casper was originally installed. I suppose I want to avoid re-enrolling which deletes the local JSS identity on the clients, triggering that problem..

Assuming I just make a DNS change instead, is it really as simple as cutting over the old JSS' DNS record to point to the IP of the new JSS, once the DB has been restored and tested? We will be issuing a new SSL cert as well, would that cause any problems? Any other gotchas?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

1 REPLY 1

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

For me, restoring the DB & updating DNS has worked..

but you obviously need to makes sure that your pre-req are in place (nw ports, sw on the new box etc..).

My migrations have always been mac server - mac server.. but can't envision an issue with mac - win migration as it's still a mysql db