Netboot, a JDS, and imaging on 9.64

chlaird
Contributor

Has anyone else had their imaging process all screwed up by 9.64? On 9.63 (JSS and JDS), I could netboot clients, image from the JDS, image over target mode, etc. I just updated to 9.64, and now imaging won't work at all. Casper Admin can mount the JDS DP just fine, but Casper Imaging switches immediately from "mounting" to "unmounting" when I try to image. The jamf.log just contains

Wed Feb 18 13:07:19 famine jamf[13259]: Mounted file server
7 REPLIES 7

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We're staying away from 9.64 at our school sites that use Casper Imaging, lots of people have been reporting imaging issues.

chlaird
Contributor

I've confirmed that a 9.64 JSS, with Casper Imaging 9.64, and a 9.63 JDS, works fine.
I've confirmed that a 9.64 JSS, with Casper Imaging 9.64, and a 9.64 JDS, fails immediately.
I've confirmed that a 9.64 JSS, with Casper Imaging 9.64, and a 9.64 JDS replicated to an AFP share, works fine when imaging from the AFP.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@chlaird][/url, the AFP share is the fix. It's not been fixed any other way, just confirmed as fixed via the AFP share.

chlaird
Contributor

@bentoms, unless I've made a mistake on my end, it seems that 9.64 actually made it worse. Previously my understanding was that the AFP share was only needed when netbooting. However, now on 9.64, I can't even image using target-mode from the JDS.

Curiously, I never even had the JDS and netboot issue on 9.63. I could netboot clients, then image without issue (I didn't even have an AFP share on my test server. It was JDS only).

Again though, maybe it's a mistake on my end. Unless the following line from the 9.64 release notes mean something other than how I'm reading it though, I thought the need for the AFP share had been fixed.

[D-005796] Fixed an issue that prevented a computer that is booted to a NetBoot image from being imaged when the master distribution point is a JDS instance.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@chlaird, I've been advised that the AFP Share is the "fix" for that defect.

As to why you might not have been affected, the JDS delivers files over HTTPS. These files are zipped. On download the netboot unzips them before installing to the target volume.

This is great, if all your Macs have more RAM than the maximum item you unzip from a JDS.

So, if your biggest DMG is 10GB & all your Macs have 16GB RAM.. You should be ok.

If you only have 8GB RAM in your Macs.. Then you should have issues.

dmw3
Contributor III

Just updated our JDS master to 9.64, now cannot mount the share with Casper Admin 9.64. JSS is also at 9.64 and can see the JDS.

I have no issue mounting the share outside of Casper Admin both afp and smb.

Any ideas anyone, don't really want to recreate the JDS master.

chlaird
Contributor

@dmw3, what do you mean you can mount it over smb and afp? It was my understanding the JDS share is webDAV only, hence the need to create a second, replicated share if you want AFP access.