Netboot Creator and Mountain Lion

Bukira
Contributor

Does anyone miss Casper Netboot Creator and the ability to install Casper Imaging with JSS settings and setup auto login as root, and also miss the handy LaunchPad Application that allowed you to launch Applications?

If you follow the normal process you have to manually copy casper imaging and settings file, then setup to auto login as root, set to launch CI at login, and then when you netboot from this image you get the Dock as well, unless you auto hide, but its still accessible, and a full working finder than anyone can launch any applications etc.

Ive create an application that simplifies all this and can also add my own Menu Item which as shortcuts to the usual Apps from the LaunchPad. Anyone who wants a copy can have it.

All you need to do is create a Netboot image via Apple's System Imaging Utility for any OS X drive with root enabled.

Then mount the Netboot image and use my tool to modify it. You can then use this over and over to modify the Netboot image as required, update the Casper Imaging Version, change the JSS server address.

1. Add Casper Imaging from custom location
  2. Add my NetbootMenu from custom location
  3. Set the JSS server
  4. Set to allow or disallowed invalid Certificates 5 Removes the Dock from bootup
  5. sets autologin to root
  6. sets auto launch of Casper Imaging and Netbootmenu

If anyone is interested contact me, can be modified if required.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Yes please i really miss the Casper Netboot Creator.

View solution in original post

Bukira
Contributor

anyone who wants, email me cmyers@uclan.ac.uk

ill email tomorrow GMT

Bukira
Contributor

Feedback from those I've Emailed to would be great thanks

13 REPLIES 13

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Yes please i really miss the Casper Netboot Creator.

Bukira
Contributor

anyone who wants, email me cmyers@uclan.ac.uk

ill email tomorrow GMT

Bukira
Contributor

Feedback from those I've Emailed to would be great thanks

hkim
Contributor II

Is this something you want to license as open source? Why not post the source at a place like Github?

Bukira
Contributor

Nope I just wanna offer it and make it better to help everyone

marktaylor
Contributor

Hi Criss
Thanks for the modify tool, I recreated our 10.8.3 nbi and applied your modifications and it works a treat.
Cheers
Mark

charliwest
Contributor II

Does anyone have a copy of this? I emailed Chris and got an auto reply that he no longer works at uclan.ac.uk.

Thanks

Dave

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

i have the 2.0 version

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@tkimpton, can you please share somehow? (Box etc...)... I'd like to look at it as might try & create a new version.

ahussain7
New Contributor II

Send me an Email and I can send the file to you,

Thanks
Amir

imagswadmin
New Contributor

We'd love the link too matthew.blackwood (at) imagination.com

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Me too please! carlo.anselmi (at) interpublic.com
Thank you very much!