Netboot issues with Casper v9.3.1 and 10.9.3

lpobiner
New Contributor

Hi all,

We are attempting to build some machines (mbp's) with a 10.9.3 (10.9.3 13D65) build and it keeps getting stuck on the "Set name to .." step on the left hand bar in the imaging window and "Creating JAMFHelper..." in the main imaging window.

We have tried different offices and machines and all see the same hang.

I haven't seen any discussion specifically on this so here's hoping.....

thanks

13 REPLIES 13

coreyradford
New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue so I am hoping someone has a solution.

lpobiner
New Contributor

Hey Corey,

What type of HW did you build your image on?

Yeah no answers yet....

coreyradford
New Contributor

I built on 2013 iMac and 2013 Macbok Air - same thing

boberito
Valued Contributor

Is your netboot server 10.9? I was having some major issues(basically not working at all) and threw the 10.9 netboot image on a 10.7 server, works like a champ now with no problems.

10.9 Server Netboot is borked.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@boberito.. I have 9 10.9 NetBoot servers that work fine.

boberito
Valued Contributor

I dunno then.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Agreed. I run 10.9 NetBoot servers and they're some of the best I've used (OK... mostly because Apple allows me to bind ethernet ports again).

coreyradford
New Contributor

Ipobiner. Are you installing packages as well? On the iMac side, I went back and did a barebones deployment with just an image , rename, and an AD bind and it went fine. When I get back in the office on Monday I'll start adding packages back in one at a time until it gets stuck again...just a thought.

lpobiner
New Contributor

Hi Corey,
Yeah I was trying to, though I think this was all caused by a bad base nbi. We really never solved it, and the team has now decided to try installation via self service from right out of the box.

gskibum
Contributor III

Just a "me too."

I'm doing this on a 2008 Mac Pro test system.

10.9.3 - Admin Tools 9.3.2 NetBoot image.

gskibum
Contributor III

Did some more testing. It isn't the configurations because they work fine with Target Mode Imaging. Seems to be a NetBoot thing. It had been working with a NBI of 10.9.2 and Admin Tools 9.2.4.

mgarman
New Contributor III

Check your netboot server if it is running 10.9.x server. There are local user accounts (netboot100, netboot101, .... ) that need to be enabled for FIle Share Service - otherwise the netbooted computers can't do a diskless netboot which prevents the hard drive from being unmounted for erasing.

chris_hansen
Contributor

We had the same problem.
For us we needed to enable the Netboot users (netboot10 through netboot149) for FIle Share Service as dpeterka says.
Once we made the change and whoosh, block-copy happiness. Use server app, Users, View menu Show system accounts, select the whole section of netboot users and click the gear to Edit access to Services, and then check the File Sharing box.
Boot again to Netboot and test.
(If the users can't use fileshare on the server, the shadow files are created on the local disk, which can't be unmounted 'cuz it is in use.)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4316 says to run mount from terminal during netboot to see what shows up/
/dev/disk0s2 on /private/var/netboot means you need to enable those users File Sharing.
//netboot103@your.netboot.server/NetBootClients1 on /private/var/netboot (afpfs, nobrowse) means this isn't your solution.