NetBoot/SUS Appliance - Updating The Appliance

bmarks
Contributor II

Is there a way to update an already-deployed NetSUS appliance? Is it as simple as running the installer for the 3.0.2 version on an appliance running 3.0.1?

Also, is it recommended to use apt to upgrade the OS and other packages, etc. periodically? Is there any negative to doing this?

4 REPLIES 4

Snickasaurus
Contributor

+1 for this post. I'm interested to know what others say.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Hi guys.

There is an upgrade script and you should just be able to scp that to the running server and run it to update the NetSUS side of things.

As always, I'd heavily suggest backing up at least any netboot images you have stored and ideally also taking a VM snapshot before running the update, just in case something breaks!

I hope that helps!

Darren

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've updated the NetSUS several times with apt, even kernel updates. I had no problems on several machines so far, so from my point of view there is nothing updating the appliance. As the NetSUS is reachable from clients and downloading stuff from the internet, I would also recommend to update the appliance with security fixes.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

I should have been clearer. The script will only update the specific NetSUS bits and not necessarily the whole Virtual OS.

@entholzner 's suggestion will ensure that the OS itself is fully patched and secure.

Darren