New MBA & MBPs not imaging properly

yellow
Contributor

So the new MBAs and MBPs have forked versions of 10.10.2, so our boot keys don't work. The solution is then to do target mode imaging until 10.10.3 is available (I don't want to have to make a separate boot image for these devices). Everything goes fine, but after the imaging is done and I reboot, it boots directly into the Adobe Temporary Installer user and does nothing. I have the jamfHelper splash screen fix in there, doesn't do anything. It's like the first run isn't happening and since the ATI user isn't admin, I can't even kick it off.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Edit: So one thing I keep seeing.. the postinstall.sh thinks it's owned by Safari (in the Finder). The same goes for the com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.enroll.plist in LaunchDaemons.

8 REPLIES 8

yellow
Contributor

OK, so, if I manually run the postinstall.sh as the management user, everything works as expected. So.. why isn't that running. All the LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons look correct.

yellow
Contributor

It seems like it's enrolling first and the postinstall.sh isn't running at all unless I force it to from the Terminal using the management account.

bmarks
Contributor II

What OS build do these Macs end up with in the end?

bmarks
Contributor II

I wonder if, since from what I can decipher from your original post, the one-off builds for these Macs aren't being put back on them. And, consequently, maybe ethernet isn't working properly as a result? Getting stuck in the Adobe user normally indicates no connectivity to the JSS (at least in my experience.)

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@yellow Are you using Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters on the MBA/MBP? I've seen this behavior before, and although I was using imaging from a NetBoot set, it boiled down to the TB adapters. Perhaps try using wi-fi on the machine after you've TMI'd the machine.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@yellow or try the script here: Enable External Adapter

yellow
Contributor

They are new, out-of-box MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs with their own fork of 10.10.2. The 10.10.2 available as a download from Apple won't boot these devices. Until 10.10.3 is released, our generic boot keys and NetBoots won't boot them, hence target mode imaging in the interim.

I'm only laying down a set of configs (User experience, common settings, power settings, etc) and typical standard software (Office, Reader, Citrix, etc) on them, nothing fancy, nothing crazy.

It does have network connectivity, because it enrolls in the JSS, plus I can get to internet sites. The postinstall.sh script from /Library/Application Support/JAMF/FirstRun/PostInstall/, which is automagically generated by Casper.

yellow
Contributor

We are using TB -> Ethernet adapters. But we already have a script we wrote to fix that issue (introduced in 10.9, IIRC). In this instance it's not a network thing because it's enrolling. It's all running policies from the JSS that are targeted to run enrollment. Just for some reason it the postinstall.sh isn't running (which installs office, etc etc).