Newbie Questions: iOS Prestage Enrollment, Lock Screen Payload, & Notifications

jdedmon
New Contributor

Hi all,

We are getting ready to rollout 4500 iPads (1/2 the district). I have everything ready to go except the following. I have searched through the discussion threads and couldn't find any info...I apologize if this has been addressed:

1) The PreStage enrollment setting for teachers is not correctly associating the department. I set the PreStage enrollment to set the iPad department as Teachers....that should keep the restrictions profile from applying because of the limitation I set. However, it didn't assign that department...I had to manually assign the department....then the restrictions profile was removed.

2) The lock screen payload I configured is not applying. I wanted it to say the "if lost return to..." and have our district name. However, it just has "this iPad is managed by.." and doesn't put that message on.

3) Notifications are not going out correctly. I send the command to send a notification to a given set of iPads....to both the notification center and the self service app.....but it only goes to the self service app. I think it might be a port issue, but would the other communication happen if it was? I have asked IT about port 2195 in case that is the issue.

Thank you all for the support...we are excited to get started! :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

1) It sounds like your LDAP mapping. Usually we all check 'Mobile Device Management' -> 'Mobile Device Inventory Collection' -> 'Collect user and location information from LDAP', and Position is a mapped field. If there is no data, then it overwrites with a blank field. See this FR and please upvote it.

I'll reply again soon, need to go handle something..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hi @jdedmon, Welcome to Casper and JAMFNation!

Let's see..

1) Now that you've manually set the department, is it sticking after the next Update Inventory of the iPad?

2) Are you creating profiles that have everything in them to manage the iPad? Best practice suggests breaking up the functionality.. and in this case we could see if it is being installed or take it back and then send it again.

3) I'm not aware of a way to send a Notification to the iPad itself, just to Self Service, so you are good here.

chris

jdedmon
New Contributor

Thank you for the help and the welcome :-)

1) After I manually set the department it is NOT sticking after I send an update inventory command.

2) I have each one set as a separate configuration profile. It doesn't look like it's loading...or at least I can't see it listed on my list of management profiles on the iPad. I have attached a screen shot of my JSS profile list and a screen shot of what I see on the iPad.

3) I see the choice to send it to the iPad notification center when I am sending the message (I have attached a screen shot). Is that something that is there but isn't active?7dec277433f94452a5cc1790031f4a60
5b7974b625d7428f85db5aa047876233
fcf4e53ac8ee43a19c31efe468907bd1

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

1) It sounds like your LDAP mapping. Usually we all check 'Mobile Device Management' -> 'Mobile Device Inventory Collection' -> 'Collect user and location information from LDAP', and Position is a mapped field. If there is no data, then it overwrites with a blank field. See this FR and please upvote it.

I'll reply again soon, need to go handle something..

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

2) My test profile for a Lock Screen is very simple and seems to work. Please post a screenshot of your profile?

3) this is separate just for putting an iPad into Lost Mode. (Be sure to Clear Passcode at the same time or the iPad will be bricked if restarted. Please upvote this FR).

jdedmon
New Contributor

Thanks for the help!

1) This was an LDAP issue exactly as you described. We are working with our AD admin to populate those fields.

2) Figured out the Lock Screen payload....working now.

3) Our JAMF buddy is looking into notifications....he said that our notifications should be showing up in the iPad notification center if we choose that option...not just in the self service app.