NYC Metro JAMF User Group 2 : Electric Boogaloo

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey all,

The second meeting of the NYC Metro JAMF User Group will be held on Thursday, April 24th, 2014 from 4:30 to 6:30 PM.

Apple is allowing us use of the Training/Seminar room at their Executive Briefing Center, 100 Fifth Ave, New York, NY, 10014. Facility seats about 40. Last meeting was filled to capacity, so we will have some additional room for more folks at this site.

Refreshments will be served.

All JAMF Admins are welcome, and if anyone is interested in presenting, please reach out. Last meeting was very freeform, and we covered a number of topics. I figured we can use this thread to build out an agenda over the next month,

Event Registration will be active in a day or so, having a slight issue with Eventbrite, but i'll post the link as soon as it is active.

--Mark

17 REPLIES 17

RaulSantos
Contributor

Looking forward to it.

pblake
Contributor III

Same!

daniel_behan
Contributor III

I'm down.

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in

p644a1
New Contributor

look forward to the meeting

Will_M
New Contributor II

Same here.

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

I'll be throwing the link for the meeting up on Monday… there is a bug at the moment with Eventbrite and JAMFNation that I have been informed should be fixed this weekend.

I've had one volunteer to talk about what he is doing in his shop in @daniel.behan, anyone else interested?

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

Count me in!!

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/userGroup.html?id=12

Link is up, Tickets go "on sale" at 8AM tomorrow..

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Registration is now open!

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Topic ideas:

With VPP and DEP in effect now, and Casper 9.3 released, i think we should make this a big part of the discussion.

a few Apple Engineers will be at the event, so it may be a good time to talk VPP/DEP/Security… Thoughts?

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey all,

Tomorrow is the last day for registration and we have a few seats left. If you are interested, please sign up ASAP so we can get a count for refreshments.

Thanks!

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks to everyone that came out last night. Thanks to Apple for use of their site, and to JAMF for providing munchies for the meeting, And thanks to the Apple reps and JAMFs that were on hand to answer questions.

We are looking to keep the bi-monthly Schedule, and will shoot for a Mid-June meeting. Location TBD, but the Apple site was ideal for the crowd that turned out with plenty of room for us to host up to 50 people or so.

@daniel.behan][/url Spoke a bit about how his company transitioned from older tools to Casper, and had some great tips for everyone that may be making the case to move to a management solution.

We had almost an even split this time between Enterprise and EDU Admins. Since we have had 2 Enterprise speakers, it may be a good time if anyone from the EDU Side wants to tell their story. If anyone wants to volunteer, drop me a line.

Open Discussion over Pizza:

Active Directory Integration: What should AD be used for? - Discussion on the need for Single Sign on, and what AD integration really means. Good mix of users that use AD and do not use AD.

Device Enrollment Program: Discussed the new DEP and how it works, and how it may work in the future, and had a demo by @ericbenfer from Apple. Discussed possible ways that Casper can further integrate with this new program

VPP and Casper 9.3: Discussion on how the new VPP ties into Casper 9.3

FileVault using Casper: Discussed the various methods that are available and some of the more unique encryption methodologies that some of the admins present have implemented in their environments.

SMB Slowness? - Dovetailing off of discussions that Apple has had with some enterprise customers about SMB performance issues.

Casper imaging issues: Discussed some difficulties some of the admins were having and possible workarounds that other Admins are performing at their sites.

AutoPKG integration: A good portion of the admins are using AutoPKG, and discussed the various ways to integrate with Casper including @Banks][/url JSS Add-on.

Feature Requests: Request for a easier ways to leverage 3rd party updates, and better mechanisms of announcing these updates to users. Many Admins are leveraging solutions that use CocoaDialog and feel it may be time for JAMF to incorporate some of these features in later releases or at least beef up JAMFHelper.

JDS Implementation: Questions about how folks are using JDS and how the JDS processes a big install like Creative Suite.

If anyone has any questions, or suggestions, please reach out and i look forward to seeing you at NYC Metro JUG 3: the Threequel.

-MM

daniel_behan
Contributor III

Thanks again to @mmdowjones for organizing last night's event. It was great to see some new faces. As Christos mentioned, not enough people are talking about Fight Club. If anyone has questions about any of my scripts or EA's I'm more than happy to share. As useful as JAMF Nation is, please make remember to make use of the resources you have with both your JAMF and AppleCare TAMs. I can't wait for round 3.

-Dan

ericbenfer
Contributor III

It was a great time. I certainly enjoyed hearing different strategies for FileVault 2 management.
I was happy to give the brief demo on the new Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP).
https://www.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/DEP_Business_Guide_EN_Feb14.pdf

-Eric

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

@RaulSantos reminded me to post this:

Some of the guys from yesterday where talking how MDM was not working on some of there computer Jamf can fix that for you

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/automatically-fixing-casper-mac-mdm-enrollment/

mzago
New Contributor III

Did anyone get magical ruby script, mentioned at the meeting, that looks at DNS to isolate AD issues?