Off Topic - Anyone here using Isilon storage with Yosemite?

tomt
Valued Contributor

We've got one department that uses an Isilon server. They were having serious performance issues under Mavericks so the tech over there upgraded the machines to Yosemite. Now they are experiencing random panics when interacting with the server (copying, writing, saving directly to, open from, etc.).

Has anyone come across this in their travels? I'm waiting for more info and some log files but thought I would ask the nation also.

Thanks,
Tom T.

2 REPLIES 2

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

For 10.7 through 10.9, I made available a Self Service item that adjusted the TCPDelayAck to 2. Apple normally set it to 3. I believe the solution was discussed in JAMFNation and even a document from Isilon suggested the change. This covered the issue with performance and was well liked by our users. I even included a Self Server to revert back to the default, but no one ever selected that.

I don't have it scoped to 10.10 devices because no one has mentioned performance issues with 10.10, except... Soon after I read your post, I got an email that we might have a new issue. They didn't provide any specifics. I will begin collecting info from the users tomorrow.

#!/bin/sh

################################################################################
#
#  This script sets the TCP delay ack to 2, as recommended by Isilon to help improve the
#  performance of browsing, saving, and reading from network file shares.
#
#  REFERENCES
#  PDF document:  Using Mac OS X Clients with Isilon OneFS 6.5 (Oct 2012)
#  http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051107090652912
#  JAMFNation
#  
#################################################################################

##########################################################################################
# Create time date stamped log to record actions taken by this script.
##########################################################################################
logFile="/private/var/log/IT.log"

log () {
    /bin/echo $1
    /bin/echo $(date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S: ") $1 >> $logFile 
}

log ""
log "BEGIN changing the TCP Delayed Acknowledgment to 2 for better performance"

#  STEP 1
#    The following line set the delay for the current user logged in and works 
#    immediately, but reverts back to 3 (auto) after a reboot.
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2
log "Changed the users sysctl to tcp delay ack 2"

#  STEP 2
#    Clear any previous sysctl.conf file
if [ -f "/private/etc/sysctl.conf" ]; then
    log "Deleted the existing sysctl.conf file " 
    /bin/rm -f "/private/etc/sysctl.conf"
fi

#    Set the delay to 2 so that it remains after a reboot
sudo bash -c "echo 'net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2' >> /etc/sysctl.conf"
log "Changed the etc/syctl.conf to tcp delay ack 2"

log "COMPLETED changed the TCP Delayed Acknowledgment to 2."

exit 0

mattosaur4
New Contributor II

Any links to where this was discussed at JAMF Nation? We're having file saving and locking issues on our Isilon based storage with 10.10.x clients & Office apps. EMC have looked at some packet captures and are pointing the finger at Microsoft Office. Have you tried this TCP change on Yosemite?

Thanks,
Matt