Office 2016 15.17 weirdness

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Ever since we updated to 15.17, Outlook will not retain the preferences for the reading pane. In fact in some cases it seems to randomly assign preferences for some folders. Setting & re-setting it and quitting & relaunching doesn't make it stick. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

At least it isn't as bad as the 14.5.0 update :)

16 REPLIES 16

brianj
New Contributor

Yes, I'm seeing the same issue with the reading pane disappearing on relaunch in Outlook 15.17.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Doesn't seem to happen if I put 15.17 preview pane at the bottom.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

For me, it was not only the reading pane. EVERY preference I wanted to store was not saved. This included window appearance, positions and so on.
I had to remove all Outlook preferences in ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.outlook/Library/Preferences/. After a restart, Outlook worked as before the update.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just did that and it got much worse! Before I deleted the preferences the weirdness was limited to the reading pane and columns displayed and a couple other small items. After I deleted the preferences, every item was reset back to defaults... I spent time re-creating the layout I want and other preferences. When I quit the program and relaunched it, it forgot ALL of the changes I made. Luckily I kept a backup of the previous preference files and put those back. It's still messed up but at least the list of problems is a lot short than "everything"

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Have you restarted only Outlook or did you a restart of the whole machine?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I only restarted Outlook. Is there something in Office 2016 that requires a complete restart of the computer?

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

It shouldn't...

Just a quick addition from my side - it seems that the corrupted window comes back... :/ I did a complete reset of Outlook and all Office 2016 apps for three times now, but it came also back for three times...

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am definitely seeing this on my Outlook 15.17 install. Not everyone is though...

talkingmoose

Folks, the Outlook product manager at Microsoft is aware of the reading pane issue with the 15.17 update. Right now, we're thinking it's limited to Yosemite but still investigating. Can you confirm the OS you're running where you see this happening?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am seeing it on 10.11.2.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

10.10.5 so far

kstrick
Contributor III

10.10.5, confirmed outlook reading pane issue is happening...
(post reboot and post re-launch of app)

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Not effecting my test boxes that are on 10.11.1 and 10.11.2.

--

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I haven't seen anything with Outlook, but I am seeing some weird issues in Word. I've had two users reporting that some word documents replace all text characters with the letter 'a' when opened. Quitting Word and reopening the file fixes it, but it's odd that two different users on different machines running 10.10.5 are seeing the same issue. I also just had someone who could not modify text on a single word in certain files(also 10.10). If you tried to highlight or bold a single word, it would apply it to that paragraph and the next one.

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Confirmed for 10.10.5, I haven't seen this on 10.11.x yet.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

15.17.1 fixed the window pane issue on our test 10.10.5 Mac. Still not a problem on our 10.11.2 Mac.

--