Office 2016 or 2019 "No Network Connection"

roiegat
Contributor III

So our workplace is starting to test out Office 365 and Mac users can go to the Microsoft portal and run the apps via the website ok. We have both Office 2016 and 2019 for testing and when launch we get the screen that shows the "sign in", new, recent, and open. When clicking on "Sign In", it gets the prompt "No Network Connection. Please check your network settings and try again". You can still use the app ok and create documents. You can still save to network drives...but seems like it's trying to connect to a server, and sees no network connection.

Is there a setting to tell Office 2016 or 2019 to tell it to use the proxy setting from the system? Or can we manually tell it the proxy information?

4 REPLIES 4

kowsar_ahmed
Contributor

Does it work off the corporate network? If so you'll need to get the activation ports/sites possibly whitelisted. Contact MS for specific info but check on an external network first.

roiegat
Contributor III

@kowsar.ahmed I'm beginning to suspect that as well. I'm going to have to request permission with our security team to put the machine on an outside network for testing and find out. I'll report back.

The odd part is that one of the users who was moved to production on Office 365 can use the web to get to his outlook, but can't use the outlook 2019 client. Here's the funny part.....his Mail and Calendar app work just fine. So that's what got me thinking about the proxies. Since Mail and Calendar use the system proxy, I suspected it might need to be set for Office.

erowan
New Contributor III

roiegat
Contributor III

@erowan thanks! sent it over to the 365 team to see if they missed something