Outlook for Mac 2016 update 15.21.1 breaks AD FS authentication

skeb1ns
Contributor

I've started testing the 15.21.1 Office Update and noticed that my Outlook client doesn't seem to authenticate through AD FS/Office 365 with our Office 365 environment thus resulting in the error below:

9cf8d81a51f04bbb80deb39b711ad38c

Reverting back to Outlook 15.19.1 and the authentication works fine again. I tested this on another Mac and the problem occurred there as well.

Tested on El Capitan, 10.11.4.

Does anyone else has this issue as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

skeb1ns
Contributor

I can confirm that checking the Forms authentication box at our AD FS authentication policy under Intranet fixes this issue.

It would be nice if Microsoft mentioned in the release notes of Office that the authentication method changed with this update :).

a82a7a28590e48329e7cce114b7a8393

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

CorpTech
New Contributor III

Just did the update. It had me sign in again but then connected. A little slower on the connection than what it used to be.

SGill
Contributor III

Couldn't duplicate that issue here....AD and O365 authenticate in Outlook 15.21.1 OK. OS is 10.11.4.

joecurrin
New Contributor III

We are still able to use o365. But ADFS has always been broken for our SharePoint. We are told that Microsoft is working to resolve the issue

talkingmoose

Jeff Kalvass, PM for Outlook for Mac at Microsoft, mentioned a little while ago in Slack...

However with the 15.21.1 release all users now get O365 modern auth (ADAL)

If you're seeing authentication issues, I suggest posting that information in the #microsoft-office channel in Slack/MacAdmins to give feedback. These are issues Microsoft will probably want to tackle right away.

skeb1ns
Contributor

@talkingmoose , Done!

talkingmoose

@rschenk, someone from Microsoft pointed me to this to have you take a look. I'm not sure whether this applies to you, but he's read your post and think it may.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3015526

bbot
Contributor

Is there somewhere where we can track this issue? I'm tasked to update our company's office for Mac and do not want to introduce new problems.

talkingmoose

So far, we don't know this is an issue. One person has so far reported something anecdotally.

If you're seeing the same behavior then open a case with Microsoft. They'll either help you address it or open a support case, which you can then track.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I can authenticate to our AD/Exchange server but I have seen issues with this update. Other things like the inbox not updating automatically. You have to hit send & receive to see new emails come through.

Do not install this update. There are very clearly bugs.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I have also seen new accounts unable to add an Exchange account automatically since running this update.

We have had to enter in the mail server and other information manually.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Just to reiterate @talkingmoose what mentioned, definitely open cases with Microsoft and join Slack http://macadmins.org and let the MS folks in the #microsoft-office channel know. I passed this discussion to them and they've let the O365 and OLK teams know.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@rschenk You may want to try authenticating with UPN@domain.com instead of email.address@domain.com.

skeb1ns
Contributor

I can confirm that checking the Forms authentication box at our AD FS authentication policy under Intranet fixes this issue.

It would be nice if Microsoft mentioned in the release notes of Office that the authentication method changed with this update :).

a82a7a28590e48329e7cce114b7a8393

MrP
Contributor III

@rschenk

Can you give a more details account of where you find this settings dialog box? We have had problems with word 2016 not knowing how to deal with our ADFS implementation on our SP server while word 2011 has no issues. I'm curious if this might help.

rquigley
Contributor

Any suggestions for those running ADFS 2.0 and 2008 R2? That option above doesn't exist for this version of Windows Server and therefore, we cannot tick such a thing.

skeb1ns
Contributor

You can follow the steps in this TechNet article to enable forms authentication on a AD FS 2.0 environment:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3015526

skeb1ns
Contributor

@MrP

AD FS 2.0 or 3.0?

MrP
Contributor III

2.0. I tried as the article stated with no change in behavior by Word 2016. shrug..

CodePrime8
New Contributor

I know this is a late response, but I found that if you remove the account, then while adding the account back in, there is an option at the top right that says "Not Office 365?" Click on the hyperlink, and select "Exchange" You will need to fill in the detail like domain, password, username, server. I was able to get all of our macs for my company to connect using this method. All items working now.