Primary Hard drive full from Casper log files?

anickless
Contributor II

Some reason my Root JDS instance reported its hard drive is full, however we have all the packages and scripts on an external hard drive. What would be written to the primary hard drive that would slowly fill it up?

7 REPLIES 7

Snickasaurus
Contributor

What OS is your JDS running on?

Kedgar
Contributor

Which OS is your JDS running on? I'd suggest digging into the jamf logs on that host to see if there are any errors repeating over and over again. It might give you some idea as to what is wrong that the log file is growing so much.

On linux, our logs are under /usr/local/jds/logs I believe. It may behoove you to also add those logs to logrotate if you are on linux.

If you are running on a Linux platform and need some suggestions on how to do this, feel free to reach out to me.

-Ken Edgar

anickless
Contributor II

I am running OS X 10.9.5

Snickasaurus
Contributor

Definitely check your Jamf logs as @Kedgar mentioned. You could check out WhatSize by ID-DESIGN INC in the AppStore. It will give you a nice visual as to what files/folders are taking up the most space if you find it's nothing to do with a log file issue.

Kedgar
Contributor

the du command is very useful...

du -chd 1 /

This will give you a view of which directories are largest... you can drill down further, the d means depth. So for instance you could use du -chd 1 /Applications to get a list of all your application directories and sizes.

If you know the location of the logs, please view them... I prefer using the 'less' command on the command line to view the files. You can search for errors. My guess is that something will be very noticeable from this log... if it is the log that is filling up.

Another thing I have noticed, as have others here, is that the JDS uses /tmp as it's download staging spot. If you are downloading a large package or image file, it may show up as usage there... causing your root volume to fill up. Many of us using Linux bump into this issue and have had to increase the size of our root volumes to accommodate.

anickless
Contributor II

using @Kedgar command I found that a /.Spotlight-V100 has 291M's in it and i found /usr/local has 193G. I don't know if that is normal but on a 250G hard drive that is a ton of space used up.

Kedgar
Contributor

/usr/local/jds is the location that the JDS uses for your distribution point data... packages, dmg files... etc.