Problem upgrading from JSS 9.31/9.32 to 9.52

jrippy
Contributor II

We have a manual install of the JSS on Red Hat 6.
Our production server is running 9.31 while debug was running 9.32.
Upon testing the 9.32 upgrade to 9.52, again using the manual install procedures, we got a failed upgrade. The JSS URL returned a 404 error. We also set up another test from 9.31 just to be sure and experienced the same issue. It seems like there is something missing in the 9.52 manual installer that it expects to be there either on its on or from a previous upgrade.

Perhaps we have to go to 9.5 first, then 9.52? Ideas?
I'm also waiting on a response from our support contact.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jrippy][/url

Thought so.

Unfortunately, that's the problem.

We currently have an open issue, D-007776, that describes this behavior and is specific to Tomcat 6.

At the moment, the workaround is upgrading to Tomcat 6, or trying the installer (which lays down Tomcat 7, so we'd need to remove Tomcat 6 first) instead of a manual installation. It looks as though it's specific to Tomcat 6, and Tomcat 7 does not have the issue.

I see you've already got a case open with your TAM, and I've sent him a message letting him know about this so he should be up to speed. He should be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jrippy

Figured you'd like an update from the 9.6 release notes:

[D-007776] Fixed an issue that caused a manual upgrade of the JSS to fail when Tomcat 6 is installed on the JSS host server.

You should be able to do your manual installs on the RHEL boxes with Tomcat 6 with 9.6.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Mike4
New Contributor III

fyi we had the same problem and I upgraded our test server which is running RHEL 6.5, with Tomcat 6 to 9.6 yesterday and it's working great.

11 REPLIES 11

jrippy
Contributor II

Here's an excerpt from our catalina.out log:
Top of file
Top looks good. Lots of info about what's going on.
Oct 13, 2014 10:59:44 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive ROOT.war
Oct 13, 2014 10:59:47 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
SEVERE: End event threw exception
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Lots of nested Java errors
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Servlet mapping specifies an unknown servlet name OTAEnrollmentController

So it seems it is looking for OTAEnrollmentController and not finding it. Enrollment currently works under 9.31 for non-iOS8 devices.

spraguga
Contributor

@jrippy You probably already tried this, but have you restarted the tomcat service again?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hey @jrippy ,

Are you running Tomcat 6 or Tomcat 7?

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

jrippy
Contributor II

@spraguga yes. Any other ideas?

jrippy
Contributor II

@amanda.wulff Tomcat 6

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jrippy][/url

Thought so.

Unfortunately, that's the problem.

We currently have an open issue, D-007776, that describes this behavior and is specific to Tomcat 6.

At the moment, the workaround is upgrading to Tomcat 6, or trying the installer (which lays down Tomcat 7, so we'd need to remove Tomcat 6 first) instead of a manual installation. It looks as though it's specific to Tomcat 6, and Tomcat 7 does not have the issue.

I see you've already got a case open with your TAM, and I've sent him a message letting him know about this so he should be up to speed. He should be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

jrippy
Contributor II

@amanda.wulff
And there's the problem. You see, according to the documentation, RHEL6 is still a supported Operating System. However, installing Tomcat 7 manually on RedHat 6 will invalidate our support contract for that VM so that's not an option. RedHat also does not include an official version of Tomcat 7 that will be supported nor do they intend to. Their support path is to upgrade the server to RHEL7.

Thankfully we are already in the process of building new RHEL7 VM's and splitting out the frontend from the backend, but this certainly make the process a higher priority.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jrippy

Figured you'd like an update from the 9.6 release notes:

[D-007776] Fixed an issue that caused a manual upgrade of the JSS to fail when Tomcat 6 is installed on the JSS host server.

You should be able to do your manual installs on the RHEL boxes with Tomcat 6 with 9.6.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

jrippy
Contributor II

@amanda.wulff

That is great news! I believe our game plan now is to upgrade both our old and new servers to 9.6, then move our database. That should get us going with our new setup and we'll be on Tomcat7!

Thanks so much for your help!

Mike4
New Contributor III

fyi we had the same problem and I upgraded our test server which is running RHEL 6.5, with Tomcat 6 to 9.6 yesterday and it's working great.

jrippy
Contributor II

@Mike4][/url

Mike, we too did an upgrade last Friday and it went off without a hitch. 9.6 keeps us going for a little while longer and brings all the new features of 9.5! Yay!!

Thank you @amanda.wulff for your and the Dev Team's work to get 9.6 working with Tomcat 6!