Prohibit Internet Sharing?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Hi folks,

I am looking for a way to prohibit enabling of Internet Sharing since it can be a pretty serious security risk. I was able to do it with Quest's QAS group policies, but we've stopped using that product.

Is there a way to granularly disable Internet Sharing permanently using managed preferences?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

Is this assuming your users are admins on their own machines? If they're Standard users then they cannot enable this feature.

You can use MCX to force Internet Sharing off.

Apply Setting To: System Level Enforced
Domain: com.apple.MCX
Key Name: forceInternetSharingOff
Key Type: boolean
Value: true

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

talkingmoose

Is this assuming your users are admins on their own machines? If they're Standard users then they cannot enable this feature.

You can use MCX to force Internet Sharing off.

Apply Setting To: System Level Enforced
Domain: com.apple.MCX
Key Name: forceInternetSharingOff
Key Type: boolean
Value: true

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Thanks, I'll give this a try, I'm surprised it's not listed in the existing preferences for com.apple.MCX.

Edit: Worked like a champ! I appreciate the quick and accurate response.

talkingmoose

I used Workgroup Manager on my own computer and found I could set this specific preference via the GUI. Once I did that I went to the Details tab to view the actual preference settings.

The JSS has lots of templates but not everything.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Good to know, I've never used Workgroup Manager before so I know where to go now. Teach a man to fish, and all that.

daworley
Contributor II

Is there a document outlining the other keys to manage the other shared services in the same way?

talkingmoose

That's part of what manifests do. They're not straight-forward documentation but they allow you to view your options. They should contain human readable descriptions of each preference setting. (Not all applications include their own manifest files and not all manifest files contain a complete list of keys and value settings.)

For most of the Mac OS X system and application settings Casper users can do this:

1. Locate /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app
  2. Right-click or Control-click the file and select Show Package Contents.
  3. Navigate to Contents/Resources/.
  4. Select any one of the 26 manifest files you see there. I'll use com.apple.MCX as an example.
  5. Right-click or Control-click the com.apple.MCX.manifest file and select Show Package Contents.
  6. Navigate to Contents/Resources/com.apple.MCX.manifest.
  7. Use any text editor to open and view this file. You can also import it into the JSS under Managed Preferences to view the descriptions there and create a preference setting.

This particular manifest contains about 25 settings such as:

• Create Portable Home Directory
  • Time Zone
  • Time Server
  • Disable Guest Account
  • Require Admin For AirPort Network Change

In this case note that the forceInternetSharingOff key isn't even mentioned in the manifest. It's undocumented. I only found this because I used Workgroup Manager to make the setting and then looked under the Details tab to see what changed.

rickdsp
New Contributor

I imported com.apple.MCX.manifest but I do not see the ForceIntenetSharingOff key. Am I looking at the wrong place?

I pulled up Workgroup Manager and saw the detail does point to com.apple.MCX. I just do not see it in JSS when I import the manifest.

Can someone please point me to the right place to find this key? Thanks.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

See William's first post above (the one marked as the Answer) You can set this manually in the JSS rather than importing it. He mentions above that importing com.apple.MCX doesn't actually show the forceInternetSharingOff key.

Just choose "Create Managed Preference" in your JSS and then set up the options as outlined above.

matt4836
Contributor II

I just wrote a script/LaunchDaemon that checks if Ethernet is connected then it turns off the power to the airport. Not exactly what you are looking for but will accomplish this. Let me know if you would like it.

Susan
New Contributor

Hi Matt, I would be interested in the script you wrote - thanks!

Susan Spanovich
sspanovich@lifetimefitness.com

gknacks
New Contributor III

Matt,

Are you able to share your script/launch damon? That sounds exactly like what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

-Greg K

guzmanhm
New Contributor II

Hi Matt, I would be interested in the script you wrote Please and thank you in advance

starkruzr
New Contributor

Thread resurrection, I know, but I wanted to add that you can also do this with Profile Manager with the Custom Settings payload. com.apple.MCX for the preference domain, "forceInternetSharingOff" for the key, "Boolean" for the type and then check the box.

sgoetz
Contributor

Is there a way to do this using MDM Configuration profile.

CAJensen01
Contributor

Yes, however it's effectively doing it in the same manner.

Custom Settings

com.apple.MCX
Property List File
PLIST file containing key value pairs for settings in the specified domain
{forceInternetSharingOff=true}

Mr_Einstein
New Contributor II

@talkingmoose

Can you think of a reason why the JSS would not allow the plist file to be uploaded?

I copied the .plist file directly from its location in the Finder, but I keep receiving format errors from the JSS.

talkingmoose

@Mr.Einstein, when you attempt to upload the plist and it fails, do you see any text in red? If so, it's telling you what you need to do. Run the command to correctly format the file.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

This came up today, so figured I'd search here first to see if what we've done in the past is still the right approach.

Found this thread, and these last two posts...you've GOT to appreciate the subtle irony and humor. :) #priceless

1d2889a599cc4935a66286e82e26487a

We've had a Configuration Profile in place for some time...it greys out the box service box, but does not uncheck the network interface boxes:

b8a80ef7772a4018b28db8eec3457ef0

aee207f7e268450eaae42ba2b859afb3

Seems to do what it is advertised to do...however the bigger question (at least on our side) is how to disable it if it is already on.

We use an EA to determine if Internet Sharing is (or was) enabled:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Check Internet Sharing.
#
#    FileDoesNotExist = /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist does not exist
#    (was never enabled, or a clever user enabled it and is covering his/her tracks)
#    
#    Enabled = enabled
#    (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist exists, and it is enabled)
#    
#    Disabled = disabled
#    (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist exists, so it was enabled in the past)

if [ -e /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist ]; then
    if [ $( /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print :NAT:Enabled" /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist ) == 1 ]; then
        echo "<result>Enabled</result>"
    else
        echo "<result>Disabled</result>"
    fi
else
    echo "<result>FileDoesNotExist</result>"
fi

Ok, so now you can tell who has it enabled, or who had it enabled. What if you want to uncheck the network interface cards, IOW delete the plist file that the EA checks? Trust me, you don't want to know...

01ef78fa7d4440238446c127409d67b3

--
https://donmontalvo.com

medeirosg
New Contributor

@donmontalvo do you care to share the contents of your plist file to disable internet sharing?

rkelegha
New Contributor III

All,

I have added the key to my com.Apple.MCX but Still it doent stop or prevent the user from turning on Internet sharing .. is there something im doing wrong?

I have created a com.apple.MCX.plist - It contains some more settings. Deployed it via customer setting config profile.
I can see its deployed to the system

but when i close and open systems preferences / Sharing / I can still select Internet sharing and the 2 adapters that I want to share..

Is there something im missing?

Thanks
4ac10263c27849dd8c7b1a9866273d9d

wmehilos
Contributor

@rkelegha

Looks like you typo'd the key name. The F in forced should be lowercase.

mateow
New Contributor

is there a way to toggle ON the internet sharing via script or profile?