"Automatically assign new devices" in PreStage Enrollment

Atefeh
New Contributor II

Hello Team! We have some MacBooks which weren't added in Apple Business Manager( and as a result, in PreStage enrollment scope) and we used user initiated enrollment to add their MDM profile in Jamf pro. We managed to add them to the apple business manager later. The thing is, I want to check the "Automatically assign new devices" for PreStage enrollment so that when we buy new MacBooks, their enrollment would be automatically through that. But I'm afraid maybe it affects the previously bought MacBooks and erase their accounts. I wanted to know if that's the case, or it just affects the new purchase. As a general question, if a MacBook is being added to MDM using user initiated enrollment and and then being added to Apple Business Manager (and Jamf inventory, after the enrollment), does checking the "Automatically assign new devices" affects on that too or not (makes it go through PreStage enrollment or not).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

No, you will be fine. Even if existing devices get added to your ABM and you have "Automatically Assign New Devices" checked in your pre-stage they will only be added to the scope of the prestage enrollment. You will not need to re-enroll the devices. (But, if someone every does erase the devices, they will then pickup the Prestage enrollment).

If you have any concerns, you can always go back in to ABM/ASM and edit the individual device assignments and set them to None.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

No, you will be fine. Even if existing devices get added to your ABM and you have "Automatically Assign New Devices" checked in your pre-stage they will only be added to the scope of the prestage enrollment. You will not need to re-enroll the devices. (But, if someone every does erase the devices, they will then pickup the Prestage enrollment).

If you have any concerns, you can always go back in to ABM/ASM and edit the individual device assignments and set them to None.