"Number of available updates" always 0?

SVM-IT
New Contributor III

I'm running JSS version 9.96 and created a search using the advanced criteria "number of available updates" = 0, which returns 194 records. However, 194 is the total number of computers under management and it hardly seems likely that all computers are completely up to date. I did a quick manual scan and can see I have a computer at 10.12.0 so I would expect at least one hit.

Is the "number of updates" function broken?

Seth

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Do you have the option to collect available software updates enabled under the inventory section? If not, it will always be 0 since it's not gathering that information.

View solution in original post

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@SVM-IT there was a product issue (PI-002946) in 9.96 that caused this to happen. The issue is resolved in 9.97 and newer. But there were other issues in 9.97 where you may just want to look at upgrading to the latest version. You probably should talk with your Jamf buddy about what is the most appropriate for your environment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Do you have the option to collect available software updates enabled under the inventory section? If not, it will always be 0 since it's not gathering that information.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@SVM-IT there was a product issue (PI-002946) in 9.96 that caused this to happen. The issue is resolved in 9.97 and newer. But there were other issues in 9.97 where you may just want to look at upgrading to the latest version. You probably should talk with your Jamf buddy about what is the most appropriate for your environment.

SVM-IT
New Contributor III

That must be it. Thanks!

May
Contributor III

As our Macs point to our internal update server if they run recon whilst off our network (and can't reach the update server) the inventory result will show 0 updates, once they're back on our network and run recon it will show the correct amount of updates.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I ended up making a really simple extension attribute to report the available updates on a machine to get around the PI and have just kept using it:
https://github.com/smashism/jamfpro-extension-attributes/blob/master/software_update_count