Reftab Asset management

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Hi We have just started using Reftab asset Management software, to manage loans of equipment. It has settings for integrating with JAMF. I can get it to connect to our JAMF server, but when we try to sync there is an error that JAMF is not set up correctly.
Has anyone used this software? And have you got it to sync devices from JAMF to Reftab? Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

In answer to my own question...
To import the devices into Reftab, you must have an Asset tag or Barcode set in Jamf. Then it will import the items for you.
The following script will assign the Mac Serial number to be the Asset tag in JAMF. You can script most things in here, but when the record is viewed in Reftab you will see the Device Name, as showing in JAMF, as well. I set this up as a Script in JAMF, and then set up a Policy to send it out to the required devices.

#!/bin/sh

#  Asset tagging.sh
#  
#
#  Created by Admin on 25/05/2021.
#  
# Pulls the Mac serial number and then applies it as an Asset tag for JAMF
# This allows Reftab to pull the information from JAMF

# Get the Mac Serial Number
macser=$(/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | /usr/bin/awk '/Serial/ {print $4}')

# Set the asset in JAMF
/usr/local/bin/jamf recon -skipApps -skipFonts -skipPlugins -assetTag $macser

exit

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

In answer to my own question...
To import the devices into Reftab, you must have an Asset tag or Barcode set in Jamf. Then it will import the items for you.
The following script will assign the Mac Serial number to be the Asset tag in JAMF. You can script most things in here, but when the record is viewed in Reftab you will see the Device Name, as showing in JAMF, as well. I set this up as a Script in JAMF, and then set up a Policy to send it out to the required devices.

#!/bin/sh

#  Asset tagging.sh
#  
#
#  Created by Admin on 25/05/2021.
#  
# Pulls the Mac serial number and then applies it as an Asset tag for JAMF
# This allows Reftab to pull the information from JAMF

# Get the Mac Serial Number
macser=$(/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | /usr/bin/awk '/Serial/ {print $4}')

# Set the asset in JAMF
/usr/local/bin/jamf recon -skipApps -skipFonts -skipPlugins -assetTag $macser

exit

user-sUiGaeswlh
New Contributor II

Hi - Mike from Reftab here. We reached out to you via email to resolve. Thank you

user-sUiGaeswlh
New Contributor II

Update:

1) Now, when assets from Jamf are added to Reftab, the Jamf field of "asset tag", "barcode1", "barcode2" or, "serial number" will be used for the asset ID in that order.

2) Items synced from Jamf can be auto assigned to users. If there is a user defined in the, "User and Location" tab the asset will attempt to be mapped to an email address existing in Reftab.