Remote Desktop Access?

Not applicable

I don't believe that this has been implemented, but figured I would ask:

When I use OS X Server, I believe I can use VNC/screen sharing to access the computer using the machine's hardware address as the password. I would LOVE to be able to enable VNC in the casper netinstall machine image. Doing so would allow me to not have to hook up a display to it every time I want to re-image something. Has anyone explored/done this?

- Aaron

5 REPLIES 5

dderusha
Contributor

Aaron-

you need to make a traditional netinstall image for the ability to ARD into the netbooted computer.

We made two images one netinstall one netboot with all the tools we wanted to load such as the ability to ARD

Dan De Rusha

dderusha
Contributor

delete my first email.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sadly.. It looks like in creation of the netinstall, the remote access tools/functionality is removed from the OS.. :( I found this too with ard

Regards,
Ben Toms
IT Support Analyst GREY Group
The Johnson Building, 77 Hatton Garden, London, EC1N 8JS
T: +44 (0) 20-3037-3819 |  Main: +44 (0) 20 3037 3000 | IT Helpdesk: +44 (0) 20 3037 3883

Not applicable

If you use a Mac OS X Server Installation DVD image as the base for your NetInstall image VNC should be enabled.

And the second "cool thing" is that if have connected to the client once before imaging with ARD, then ARD should know the Serial Number and attempt to connect using first eight digits of the S/N after the "normal" authentication fails. It's pretty cool when it works.

I can't test right now, because all I have here is really new iMacs which require a newer base image than the Server DVD I have. But I have done it before.

Armin

Not applicable

That's what I was hoping....I don't install OSX Server very often, so I wasn't sure. So now I would just have to figure out if the same functionality could be enabled in a casper image. Not something to attack just yet, but it would be an interesting project and save me some plugging in displays or being able to image a machine remotely.