Reporting on Self Service

simonep
New Contributor III

I'm getting requests from my senior management to report on the follow from Self Service

1. How many software installs at month end?
  2. Top 10 installs
  3. How many installs for the month were successful & How many failed?
  4. Historical - how many installs since offering SS? - (I flush the logs so don't think I can provide this one)

I know I can go into each policy and capture this data but that would be extremely time consuming. Does anyone know of an easier way to obtain this data?

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I know of no way to collect such information, and, if I recall correctly, there may be an existing Feature Request asking for this. If there isn't one, there needs to be! I would love to be able to see metrics on how Self Service is being used by our clients. I think it would be awesome to be able to see this and would really be a big value add to the product.
However, short of possibly using EAs, API scripts and such and collecting and cross referencing all the data, I don't know if this is possible. Even with the above in place, this seems like it would be very complex to do. Seems like something JAMF would need to add to the product.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I agree this would be an awesome feature. I've been asked to break down the software installs and updates by "automatic pushes", Self Service, and "other". I have some policies set to install at Check In or at Login and made available via Self Service. All I can see is that the policy was successful or not - not how it was initiated. I COULD accomplish this, but I'd have to build some complex Smart Groups and separate policies for each method of deployment. This would get very messy very quickly and would ultimately be unmanageable.

Jaxson75
New Contributor II

I would love to see this on a feature request as this can be helpful to gauge what users are pulling from SS.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Already is one, as I thought - https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=819
My comment on the thread was from before JSS version 9 shipped, so the features of the new Casper Suite were not set, and still a bit unknown. Sadly, this Feature Request is over 3 years old now. This, in my opinion, highlights one of the main frustrations around feature requests. I question at times if there is a point in posting FRs since they can easily sit in an "Under Review" purgatory forever with seemingly no movement on them. This particular one doesn't have nearly as many upvotes as some others in the same boat, but still...

simonep
New Contributor III

Thank you for sending the link to the feature request. I just voted it up, but would really like visibility on this. I'll see if I can get anywhere with my JAMF rep.

scottb
Honored Contributor

We just make separate policies for Self Service actions. More work, but we can track each policy that way and it makes for fewer mistakes.
I'd still vote up that request though.