Required managed update notification

McLeanSchool
New Contributor III

A while back, I sent a mass action for computers to update the OS and 'Download and allow macOS to install later'.  The smart group I sent it to though had a few computers that were already updated, and those computers keep getting a popup saying 'Required managed update, an update is scheduled to automatically install tonight...', but clicking on the popup just makes it disappear and won't do anything.  Has anyone else experienced this?

10 REPLIES 10

shaquir
Contributor III

Is this happening on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs?

Tanos
New Contributor II

A user has just reported the same problem to me.

His Mac is up to date and no update checker policy available has been deployed.

Annoying for the user and for me who does not know where it can come from 🤔

janzaldua
Contributor

A few users are having the same issue at our company. Is there any fix or possible resolution for this issue?

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Was anyone able to come up with a solution for this?  We are starting to see this. 

hakimig
New Contributor II

Anyone come up with a solution for this ? It just started happening for us.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Funny enough, Apple came back to me yesterday with a work around of sending a download only command it should override the deferrals.  I sent my first test command this morning so we'll see what happens.  Apple also opened a bug as this shouldn't be happening.

hakimig
New Contributor II

So your saying just go to management and choose download OS updates command and their saying that should fix the pop up notification? Ty in advance.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

That is what I'm told.  Since the popup only goes every 24 hours, I'm waiting to see if it fixes the issue on my device.

hakimig
New Contributor II

Gotcha! I just tried it as well I will wait to hear back from my coworker as well.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

This is what they said:

Steps To Mitigate

With regard to mitigating this and ceasing the software update notifications on affected systems, I recommend sending a new ScheduleOSUpdate command to the devices with an InstallAction of DownloadOnly for the same ProductVersion that it was scoped for when this behavior was triggered by the InstallLater InstallAction.

ScheduleOSUpdateCommand

InstallAction

string

DownloadOnly: Download the software update without installing it. This value is available in iOS 9 and later, macOS 11 and later, and tvOS 12 and later.

ProductVersion

string

The version of the update, which the system requires if ProductKey isn’t present. This value is available in iOS 11.3 and later, macOS 12 and later, and tvOS 12.2 and later.

This should cause the previous InstallLater’s scheduled update to be cancelled by the newly sent DownloadOnly process which should trigger the device to check for the update in the software update catalog, determine that it is not available and report that back to MDM without notifying the user when it occurs. Effectively remotely breaking your devices out of the MDM OS update notification loop. If not, please be sure to let me know.