Search by Scope?

korzeniowskin
New Contributor II

I was asked today to "audit" app deployments at one of our buildings.  Is there a way to search our app database by the building scope?  Otherwise I have to grab a device from that building, and copy a text list of apps in scope to a word document or something since there's no export either.

6 REPLIES 6

Phantom5
Contributor II

You could use an Advanced Search with the Building Is <Building> criteria and get a full report of all your apps in that building. 

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

Yes, you can search your app database by building scope in Jamf Pro using the following steps:

1. Log in to your Jamf Pro console and go to the "Computers" or "Mobile Devices" section depending on the type of device you want to audit.

2. Click on the "Smart Groups" tab and select "New" to create a new smart group.

3. Name your smart group and set the criteria for devices in the specific building you want to audit. For example, you could set the criteria to only include devices in a specific building by specifying the building name in the "Building" field.

4. Once you have set the criteria for your smart group, click "Save" to create it.

5. Click on the "Apps and Books" tab and select "Applications" to view a list of all applications in your Jamf Pro database.

6. To filter the list by the smart group you just created, click the "Filter" button and select your smart group from the drop-down list.

7. You should now see a list of all the applications in your Jamf Pro database that are scoped to the devices in the specific building you want to audit.

From here, you can copy the list of applications to a document for your records. Alternatively, you can also use the "Reports" feature in Jamf Pro to generate a report that includes a list of all applications installed on the devices in your selected building.

korzeniowskin
New Contributor II

"Apps and Books" isn't a thing, and this wouldn't answer me either way.  I shouldn't need 7 steps in an impossibly perfect world to filter my apps by scope.  There ought to just be a way to do that built-in.

Sorry, I was looking at an old on-premise instance. It is either:

Computers > Mac Apps or

Devices > Mobile Device Apps

But like Phantom5 said, an Advanced Search with the Building criteria is probably a better way to go.

Phantom5
Contributor II

Use an Advanced Search, you can export your results from there. And yes, the built in way to do it is using either Smart Groups or Advanced Searches. The difference with Smart Groups and Advanced Searches is that Advance Searches pull the information on demand and Smart Groups pull the information continuously. You could even use Advanced Search Reports to send you an email with a report based on time settings.

korzeniowskin
New Contributor II

I don't mean to sound sideways, but this just doesn't seem like a reasonable first-party method to me.  Thank you for answering me, though.