Self Service Login Item issue

Davies
New Contributor III

We currently use ESET Antivirus 6 for OS X, we have created the package via DMG and PKG everything installs apart from the login item for ESET. We have tried so many ways to get the ESET login but just can't to get it to work.

Has anybody has experienced the same issue, or know of a fix?

Many thanks

David

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

pblake
Contributor III

Drag the created launchdaemon or launchagent into the composer window and it will start the package creation process for you.

View solution in original post

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

If you wanted or need a scripted way to add a login item this is an example

example

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pblake
Contributor III

I would just create a launch daemon to launch the app at login or startup.

You can package it with the original install or make it a separate install.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

You can use LaunchControl (link below) to create a global launch agent to launch the app at login. You can install the Launch Agent as a PKG to /Library/LaunchAgents.

http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/

Davies
New Contributor III

Thank you both for your replies, quite new to Casper Suite...still learning really with a long way to go.

@pblake, how would I go about creating a launch daemon? would it be like this:

http://www.acousticwebdesign.net/programming/creating-start-up-items-in-mac-os-x/

@Abdiaziz, I have just download LaunchControl...had a play, £7 isn't a lot...is it something you use a lot?

Thanks again for your replies.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@Davies

Not really, I only want the bare minimum to open during login.

What I have run during login:

uniFLOW Mac Client, Network Home Drive mount script, and Geektool.

pblake
Contributor III

@Davies i use LingonX for my launch daemons and agents. I create it and then package it up. Great program if you are a sysadmin of macs and need to automate things often.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

The app that @pblake uses looks much nicer than LaunchControl. I'll have to download it and try it out.

Davies
New Contributor III

Thank you for all your responses, struggling here so I have the output using LaunchControl:

"/Applications/ESET Endpoint Antivirus.app/Contents/MacOS/esets_ctl"

I cannot find how to make this into a package and I didn't realise that you can create a self service with more than one installer. Where would I find this?

Sorry for all the noob questions :(

pblake
Contributor III

Drag the created launchdaemon or launchagent into the composer window and it will start the package creation process for you.

Davies
New Contributor III

pblake, thank you so much for this...this will really help us out a lot. Would you be able to point me in the right direction how to add this package to the ESET antivirus package? I have looked but not not if i'm using the correct terminology when searching as I cannot find anything relating to this on JAMF Nation.

Again definitely appreciate all the help you have given me on this.

David

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

If you wanted or need a scripted way to add a login item this is an example

example

Davies
New Contributor III

Thank you for that, will also have a try of the script you pointed to. Always great to learn new ways of doing things, especially with Casper as feels like we haven't scratched the surface with it.