Sierra/VPP/Self Service

mapurcel
Contributor III

I'm upgrading users to Sierra using VPP through Self Service. Seems to work fine except that Self Service crashes whenever you start the download. The Sierra installer still downloads fine - but wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior? (JSS 9.96, Assign VPP Content)

6 REPLIES 6

andykang
New Contributor

A better method would be to drag and drop the Sierra installer into Casper Admin, then distribute it using a cache package policy. After the package is locally cached, it can be started with an install cached package policy triggered in Self Service.

mapurcel
Contributor III

@andykang there are some nice advantages to not having to manage the package in our environment with a lot of remote users on VPN etc, so hopefully this a bug that can be fixed, I'll open a case with JAMF on this

afej
New Contributor II

Mapurcel, Have you received any input from JAMF on this question? I would like to to the same and was wondering if this has been resolved.

mapurcel
Contributor III

@afej I didn't end up opening a case on this as it only happens sometimes and hasn't been a real problem with our deployment using this method

engh
New Contributor III

@mapurcel

We are trying to move towards this and running into the problem where it is prompting for admin rights to install a helper tool.

Are you seeing this behavior? If so, are you able to work around it or does everyone have admin rights?

We are currently on 9.96 but hope to be updating to 9.100 soon.

Thanks!

-Dan

mapurcel
Contributor III

@engh with 9.100 I've yet to see the Self Service crash issue and yes our users do get prompted to install the helper tool, but they have admin rights so its not an issue