Smart group notification body?

IrelandAttempt
New Contributor II

Howdy!

Is there any way in Jamf Pro to customize email notifications to have more information in the message body?

For example, I've set up a recent smart group to notify me of machines that JSS hasn't seen in over 1 week.  It tells me the machine name, and gives a link into Jamf.  Machine names aren't super detailed, and I'd rather have the information I care about in the message body rather than having to log into Jamf to see what I need.

Any way to make it include things like the assigned user right in the message body?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

You could create an Advanced Computer Search for machines with a Last Check-in date > 7 days  and schedule a Report based on it to be emailed daily. That you can definitely customize the fields for.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@IrelandAttempt Have you tried customizing the Inventory Display for your JSS instance under System Settings -> Computer Management - Management Framework -> Inventory Display? That controls what info is visible when viewing a Smart Group membership, and I _think_ it will change what an emailed report provides, but as a Jamf Cloud user I can't test that.

Howdy!  That looks like it makes viewing smart groups way easier.  I had been creating a custom search, targeting a smart group like a chump. 

My email notification test just now still just shows the machine name, unfortunately.

The following computers were removed from the group "Test email":

AS5311’s MacBook Air 	 https://<redacted>.jamfcloud.com/computers.html?id=329

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Sorry that didn't help with the email, but glad to have improved your Smart Group display experience. 🙂 You definitely don't want to be creating a Smart Group if its only use is for an Advanced Computer Search Criteria, creating the Criteria directly in the Search would be the way to go there (every Smart Group incurs overhead when re-calculating membership) 

Totally.  This is way better for that.  Thank you!

These notifications I'm looking to improve however, are smart groups for telling me when computers haven't been seen by JSS in over a week, or other compliance issues I want to be aware of.  I just don't want to have to go through the hoops of getting an email, logging into JSS, and then pulling up that machine name to see who or what.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

You could create an Advanced Computer Search for machines with a Last Check-in date > 7 days  and schedule a Report based on it to be emailed daily. That you can definitely customize the fields for.

That also sounds awesome.  I'll go with that, thank you!

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi Sdagley,

may I know how to add more than 7 days?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@harsha When you add a Last Check-in criteria to a search the operator choices are before/after a specific date, or less/more than a number of days