SPSS 25 Packaging

spreston
New Contributor III

I'm trying to package SPSS 25 for my users, based on the information that was posted on the SPSS 24 Deployment thread that I found, while also utilizing @vmiller 's Github Postinstall script (after changing the version, of course).

I did notice in the SPSS 25 contents folder that there is no contents/plugins folder and thus no JRE built-in, so the license script fails since the JRE doesn't exist. So I'm essentially back to square one, SPSS 25 installs, but is not licensed.

Has anyone tried to license SPSS 25 recently and have any suggestions on how to get it to license? TIA.

10 REPLIES 10

Look
Valued Contributor III

I have always had the OS X Legacy Java included in the SPSS policy, it has never worked for me with any version without it...
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB
If there is a scenario where this is not needed I'd like to know it as I believe this is the last Application we have floating around that needs it.

dcgagne
Contributor

With SPSS 24 I found that including the latest Java JDK fixed the dependency without needing to use the legacy installer (and thus making our compliance people happy).

I have no idea if this will apply to 25 as I'm just finding out, as of this thread, that it exists!

msmith80
New Contributor III

It does work in 25. My policy lays down the JDK first, places the installer in tmp, and then I run an execute command at the end to install it. Seems to work fine.

DishevldPeasant
New Contributor

I gather this deployment is still dependent on the alternative installer.bin file? I ask because I am working to get this packaged up as well.

chris_hansen
Contributor

64ff6c9e2e414a7f868ecd32fdc2d497
Be sure to use the dmgs that say "silent"

doylema
New Contributor III

This script installs JDK and JRE if they haven't already been installed then installs SPSS and activates it for the user.
Use composer to create a package to cache the SPSS install files to the /Users/Shared folder.

#!/bin/sh
#Checks for Java Version 1.8
REQUESTED_JAVA_VERSION="1.8"
if POSSIBLE_JAVA_HOME="$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v $REQUESTED_JAVA_VERSION 2>/dev/null)"; then
    echo "Java SDK is installed"
else
    echo "Did not find any installed JDK for version $REQUESTED_JAVA_VERSION"
    #Install JAVA JDK8 and JRE through jamf policy
    jamf policy -event jdk8
fi

#Installs Sassv25
/Users/Shared/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin  -f "/Users/Shared/installer.properties"

cd /
/Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/25/SPSSStatistics.app/Contents/bin/licenseactivator "YOUR ACTIVATION CODE HERE"
sleep 5

rm -rf /Users/Shared/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin
rm -rf /Users/Shared/installer.properties

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Hi all, sorry for the zombie thread revival, but I'm stumped.

I've got an install that's basically the same as SPSS 24, which worked. The SPSS 25 install works if you run via self service, or just pushing the package to a machine via ARD.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Just found the issue:

"Issue: You cannot remote install Statistics via SSH on Mac OS X 10.10 or later if no users are logged on.
Solution: At least one users must be logged on."

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27047057

robertojok
Contributor

I have a similar policy running the silent installer with the script modified as per IBM instructions by Editing the AUTHCODE and adding my serial number.
I created a pkg that installs the required files to /tmp/
Initially I did not have the JDK installed and the policy reported errors and there was no installation.
I then added the JDK version 11 to be installed first.
The policy comes up with an error by the script but SPSS 25 is installed and works fine.
The error report is shown below Script exit code: 208
Script result: Preparing to install...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

Properties file for authenticator not read as user is truly "root"
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.zerog.ia.installer.util.mrj.MRJUtilsHelper (file:/private/tmp/install.dir.4608/InstallerData/installer.zip) to method com.apple.eio.FileManager.findFolder(int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.zerog.ia.installer.util.mrj.MRJUtilsHelper
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Error running script: return code was 208.

jkaigler
Contributor II

I am running this in a script for SPSS 25 and it's failing:
cd /
/Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/25/SPSSStatistics.app/Contents/bin/licenseactivator "YOUR ACTIVATION CODE HERE"

I can run it from terminal successfully.

JAMF Pro 10.8 and MacOS 10.14.2