Start the JNUC Keynote at 9am PST next year.

jgwatson
Contributor

7am is way too early for us on PST. I was commuting in awesome traffic at this time. Please delay it by a few hours like the Apple Keynotes usually are.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

georgecm12
Contributor III

Unfortunately, holding the keynote at 9:00 am PDT would mean the keynote is at 11:00 am CDT, which would disrupt the entire JNUC schedule.

As long as we have time zones, events in one time zone will end up at an unfortunate time zone for others in the world. (Just think about the people in Australia that Dean mentioned that stayed up until midnight to watch the keynote!)

Ideally, it would be nice if we got to a point where the video for all the sessions is streamed live, and available for nearly instant replay after it is over. That's a big ask though, and jamf may not even want to do that, as it could diminish the 'user-to-user' purpose of JNUC.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

look on the bright side @jgwatson - those of us on the east coast have to stay up late to watch live TV (games, debates, etc) that gets pushed back for late start times for the west coasters.

jgwatson
Contributor

I hear you, I am just assuming that in this time zone (PST) there are more JAMF customers.

millersc
Valued Contributor
I am just assuming that in this time zone (PST) there are more JAMF customers.

I would love to see that data, but I don't think jamf is going to share it.

jgwatson
Contributor

^ Sorry, I tried to edit that post, and clarify I was talking about "PST has more customers than Australia." Edit was moderated and has gone.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

The issue is that the keynote is part of the conference, not an event first and foremost for the streaming audience. Considering that it is also recorded and can be watched later, the timing seemed fine to me.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
I am just assuming that in this time zone (PST) there are more JAMF customers.

Not so sure about that. The East coast is, or was, a big area of customers for JAMF. I'm not sure what the data looks like now though.
Besides, they are doing this at the JNUC live and they need to consider the customers that are on site at the event, and to squeeze in as much as possible per day. Delaying it by an hour sorry, 2 hours, not one, would seem to cut into valuable time for the day to me.
Also, JAMF already mentioned they plan on putting up the recorded version within a matter of hours after the keynote, so you're not going to need to wait long to see it anyway.

Bhughes
Contributor

Did anyone have trouble viewing the live stream?

tseretta
New Contributor II

It was recorded so you can still catch it!! Jamf does a great job and trying to allow everyone to experience the event!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@Bhughes No trouble here. It streamed just fine for me. Was a little grainy, but I'm not complaining. Being able to watch it live and not wait a few days to see it was a welcome change this year. Thanks JAMF!

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I'm also appreciative the stream was available for those of us not there. It was fun to follow along. It only dropped for me once towards the end but refreshed the page and got back on without issue.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I'm also appreciative the stream was available for those of us not there. It was fun to follow along. It only dropped for me once towards the end but refreshed the page and got back on without issue.

georgecm12
Contributor III

The only issues I had with the stream: First, for the video at the beginning, we were hearing the audio as it came out of the PA system at the Guthrie. Second, the compression throughout was quite strong, so many of the screen shots had all sorts of artifacting going on. You could still make everything out, though.

jrippy
Contributor II

@georgecm12 We were hearing the same thing in the overflow seating in the Proscenium. It was like the sound was coming out of the projector instead of the PA. Once Zach and Chip started talking, the audio cleared up and was coming out of the PA. Not sure what it sounded like in the Wurtle Thrust Auditorium (main stage).

jgwatson
Contributor

(Than Australia)

eng
New Contributor II

I personally would rather see it available instantly or 1-2 hours after. Both livestream and YouTube have trivial systems in place to do this.