Stupid question but...

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Why would I use a "user" extension attribute versus a computer EA? Is there a difference in the way it executes? Was looking for a solution to a different problem and came across this and had never noticed it before.

8 REPLIES 8

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

An EA is a custom inventory item, so it depends on whether it's applicable to a computer you view in inventory or to a user. Basically, where do you want to see the value?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I totally get EAs - use them for loads of cases. I guess my question is are there any differences between computer level vs user level? I can only think of those being profile/mcx settings (apply to one, apply to all type). There's nothing different about a script I'd write (or gracefully, thankfully, borrow from many a JAMFer). The only difference is where it reports in JAMF (computer vs user tab)?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi @easyedc

Are you talking about configuration profiles or extension attributes? EAs are just inventory items and the Inventory Display drop down menu lets you decide where it appears.

For config profiles, the most noticeable difference is the options you have available. User level profiles have most of the options you get with computer level, but can be scoped to user groups and have dynamic, user specific data inside them.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Referring to this page. Single option under the "user management" page.4f9ff74f943740448c69a74ec9cd2c10

I'm by no means a NOOB. but I've never bothered to check this page, really. Looking at an option for user inventory searching for a task and saw this. Wondered why it's on its own to differentiate versus a computer EA since they'll be doing the same thing, same script language, etc.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

To further my thought along, EAs are generally run as a script with sudo rights by your management account. Essentially it's run as root, so any EA would run as root, therefore you're not going to populate any user specific data from a "user" perspective. You may collect data about that user but not necessarily the user themselves given how the script executes.

I'm saying why the difference? Who's using User EAs and why instead of computer? I guess @adamcodega points it out, but I don't user the User tab much....

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Ah, got it. They're just additional text fields.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

My understanding is just to allow admins to add some extra info against the users. I guess it could be useful if combined with the API but I haven't had a need for it yet.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We used the user extension attribute when users first came out. We created a "Department" field and ran a script that mapped the mobile device users department to the users EA department since there isn't isn't a department field under the users tab. We have since changed over to the position tab but it saved us last year.