Teacher supervision of student iMacs?

RobertBasil
Contributor

We are currently using ARD for our lab teachers to be able to view student computers (iMacs running El Capitan) which is MUCH more than what they need and causes more problems than it's worth..

We are looking for an easier solution, I am familiar with Insight by Faronics but for an EDU it is expensive.

We do not need user / password control, we only need the teachers to be able to see the screens, blank them and (maybe) share small files.

We would prefer an app that will run on El Capitan for the teachers but if we need to use an iOS app and have the teachers use iPads that (might) be an option as long as the iOS app can show all of the labs screens at once (around 30 in each lab).

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

jhuls
Contributor III

Using Insight here but am curious to see if anyone has some good, less expensive options.

mcooper
New Contributor III

We utilize LanSchool on both PCs and Macs.

RobertBasil
Contributor

@mcooper

I can't seem to find anything on the cost. Care to share? I really don't want to have to request a demo and have a salesman call me over and over just to get a price.

Thanks!

RobertBasil
Contributor

Dupe post, sorry... was getting a proxy error while trying to respond.

mcooper
New Contributor III

A quote from 2014 ran $20/computer with 3 years of support and upgrades included. An even older quote for a site license, which covers a school, but not the whole district, ran about $330/site with the same 3 years of support and upgrades. Both quotes are several years old, and the company has been bought out a couple of times over the years, so prices will most likely vary.

jhuls
Contributor III

I'm not involved in the licensing of Insight here but I was told when we made that purchase that Insight actually was LanSchool and that Faronics simply licensed it under a different name so they could offer it along with Deep Freeze. I don't know if that was fact or speculation but you might find it to be identical. Of course if it's cheaper then that's not so bad.