The JNUC Hackathon is live!

BrysonTyrrell
Contributor II

Hi everyone!

As announced previously here, we are holding the first Hackathon event for JNUC this year. The rules are very simple:

• Products must be Apple management or Jamf oriented
  • Projects must be new as of the beginning of the conference and not started prior
  • Projects must be finished by Thursday, October 26 at 12 p.m. CT
  • If Jamf staff wants to participate, the teams must have an equal number of customer participants
  • When it's over, projects must be put on GitHub (or other public repository) and made available to the community at-large

This is the signup page!

Take some time, talk amongst your fellow JNUC attendees, and pitch your team (or just yourself) and project here!

After the opening keynote, the Mirage room (2nd floor) will open as the Hackathon’s dedicated space. Stop by any time throughout the conference to talk with Hackathon committee members from Jamf and have free run of the space to spread out and crank out some work!

You will have until 12:00 PM (noon) on Thursday, October 26th to post your projects online, and link to them again in this thread, to be eligible for voting. The vote will be done by the Jamf Nation community in the JNUC mobile app that afternoon and we will announce the winner during the Happy Hour!

Those who complete and post their project will have a chance to win what may become one of the most coveted t-shirts in the history of Jamf:

79328eedd2b54a949f8c3c9af4e22029

View the Hackathon event posting at at this link.

If you have any questions please reach out on here. We’re looking forward to seeing the great ideas to come out of this event!

22 REPLIES 22

smithjw
New Contributor III

I’m up for joining a team and helping out where I can. I want one of those sweet t-shirts!

lashomb
Contributor II

@brysontyrrell Does that mean your ODST project is excluded? Bummer.

BrysonTyrrell
Contributor II

@lashomb I am excluding myself from the Hackathon anyway.

talkingmoose

I posted these Hackathon ideas over in #jnuc on Slack. Thought I'd repost here for anyone who needs some ideas:

Idea #1
Custom Settings configuration profiles need to be easier to create. Profiles are a learning curve for Jamf customers and other management admins. I’d love to see a framework similar to AutoPkgr and recipes where an app could connect to repositories, download key/value information for specific apps, allow an admin to choose settings and then create or upload a .mobileconfig to the JSS.

talkingmoose

I posted these Hackathon ideas over in #jnuc on Slack. Thought I'd repost here for anyone who needs some ideas:

Idea #2
As admins, we create complex workflows built on EAs to collect information, create groups from those EAs, create policies deploying packages and scripts and other items scoped to those groups. By the time we’re done creating the workflow, documenting it can be a beast. Design a tool that can start with a policy and document it completely.

talkingmoose

Idea #3
Similar to the concept of documenting a policy and all its components, I’d like to be able to share workflows with customers and other Jamf Pro users. For example, in my JNUC presentation on Wednesday I’ll be demonstrating app install/update/remove workflows that incorporate policies, scripts and smart groups. Create a way to let me “package” these workflows and provide them to someone else.

jacobschultz
Community Manager
Community Manager

I won't have time to build it myself but if anyone wants to have my P2P distribution point idea, feel free to take it. It would work by creating a small web app that the admin can upload files to, which then builds torrent files out of them. I think I had a PHP server working at one point. Those files can then be scoped by smart groups which I was getting from the API. When scoping to computers, it would POST the torrent files as attachments to the computers records. There was then a small client library on the computers that looked for new attachments, and started downloading them using this Java torrent library.

Torrents get a bad name, but P2P file distribution is a great method for lab settings! Feel free to reach out to me if you like this idea or have any other ones similar. I won't have time to build it myself :/

talkingmoose

@jacob.schultz, your idea reminds me of what one of my creative customers did. They used a torrent client with Macs to distribute large packages such as macOS installers, Adobe installers, Office 2016, etc., in offices that didn't have Distribution Points. One Mac in each location became the seed and then the rest of the local Macs shared pieces with each other until every Mac had the installer.

In addition to your idea, let's throw that one out there too:

Idea #5
Smaller and remote offices may not warrant a distribution point or the location may not facilitate a server. Develop a "server-less distribution point" where client Macs can share installers with each other.

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Using self service as a self service portal for end users to order accessories. Having these automatically order off amazon or generating paperwork for IT staff to generate the PO, with the appropriate information.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I'm probably not going to have much to contribute development-wise, but if folks need logos or basic design work/screenshots/documentation/copy editing assistance hmu. Happy to help.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@jacob.schultz @talkingmoose guessing you guys voted this up? :):):)

Feature Request: Please support Torrent/Magnetlink text

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Considering this, but I need to know who my competition is first....

BrysonTyrrell
Contributor II

Lots of great ideas but we need some teams go to with them! :)

NightFlight
New Contributor III

This begs for a Self-Service Plug-In API at the transport layer.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Ok sign me up @brysontyrrell :-)

ThomasPratt
New Contributor II

Any teams need someone else to help?

infosecnoob
New Contributor

So we (@artsturdevant and I) are building a thing (security_bat) it looks at "industry best practices" (a bunch of stuff, you can change it if you want) then spits out a json file with a ton of data about your endpoints security posture. This is then sent up to a server where the score is based on an average of all your endpoints. this can then be sent over to the JSS API and set as an extension attribute (if you like)
the scale is 1-5.13da22108960487ebddc86e23159fdd5

infosecnoob
New Contributor

So here is our repo for the Hackathon project we built.
https://github.com/artsturdevant/security_bat

BrysonTyrrell
Contributor II

@infosecnoob excellent!

In about 45 minutes all other participants MUST submit their projects onto this thread to be counted for community voting!

smithjw
New Contributor III

Initial Push of my MacAdmins Bash Library inspired by the DRY talk at JNUC. It's vewry much a work in progress and I want to add more aliases/snippets/etc that I've collected or written that I use all the time

https://github.com/smithjw/MacAdminLibrary

goneafk
New Contributor II

https://github.com/rderewianko/GYoS - Get Your Stuff by Team Are Tee Are

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Super late entry but I did not have time to finish and the hack doesn't quite work come to find out but hey it is a POC that maybe someone can use, but seriously though NEVER USE THIS. It is 100% a hack!

link to hacker stuff