Two Apps, Two Versions, One Smart Group?

ctangora
Contributor III

Looking for some Smart Group logic help here.

On the computer there are two versions of an application (let's say Gimp). /Applications/Gimp.app (v2.8.6p1)
/Applications/Others/Gimp.app (v2.8)

When making a smart group to find machines that have Gimp installed, I can't get this machine to recognize that it has the latest version installed. Since it has the older version it will always show up as outdated.

I have been able to get a SG to show machines that have these issues, but can not find a way to exclude them from machines that haven't been updated yet. Here's the logic to find the machines...

App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS 2.8.6p1
& App Title HAS Gimp
& App Version NOT LIKE 2.8.6

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a smart group that says this versions is installed, regardless of any older versions that are also installed. Anybody deal with this in a way that isn't an EA or custom scripting in the installer?

Thanks.

Chris

14 REPLIES 14

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

ctangora wrote:

App Title HAS Gimp & App Ver IS 2.8.6p1 & App Title HAS Gimp & App Version NOT LIKE 2.8.6

& App Version NOT LIKE 2.8.6 is probably not needed since you have & App Ver IS 2.8.6p1 conditional set.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ctangora
Contributor III

If I take out the 'NOT LIKE' then i get everyone who has the newest version installed.

I'm hoping for a SG that says these people have ONLY the old version installed, excluding those that have the newer version and the older version installed.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

if you are running casper suite 9.x i would create a licensed software record for each.
then base your smart group off the license record.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is it necessary to have the second App Title HAS line? Couldn't you do:

App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS 2.8.6p1
& App Version IS NOT 2.8.6

Maybe you tried that already and it didn't work. Wacky Smart Group stuff like this makes my head hurt. *ouch*

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Is Like with Is Not Like would work...not sure if Is with Is Not makes sense.

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

<wishing-for-a-delete-my-own-post-button>

--

ctangora
Contributor III

Oddly enough, if I drop the extra App Title it comes back with nothing. So that one is needed. As far as I can tell it looks like it is doing a second search when you put a second App Title. So the first App Title looks for something that is 2.8.6p1 and returns the machines that have it installed. Then the second App Title does a new search and returns only the machines that have the versions that DONT 2.8.6p1.

So this smart group works, it shows me all the machines that have two versions installed and one of them is the most recent version. What I'm trying to figure out is how to get a SG that shows ONLY the machines that have outdated versions, if the recent version is installed it does not get in the list.

jimlee
New Contributor III

So basically you want to display ONLY the ones that have the old version of GIMP installed? What about this?

App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS 2.8
& App Title HAS Gimp
& App Version NOT LIKE 2.8.6p1

ctangora
Contributor III

Jimlee, that works, but only shows the one version. It needs to be a bit wider to catch any old version. The example was just one of the computers displaying the issue. Another computer could have 2.6.8, another 2.8.2.

Ideally I would get the server to v9 and be able to do an exclusion on the policy. But we're stuck at 8.6x for the next few months. Funny you should mention Licensed Apps in v9 as smart groups, as that was my feature request. :) Now I just wish I could use it!

jimlee
New Contributor III

Do we need it to have the older version of GIMP? What about below?

App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS not 2.8.6p1

jimlee
New Contributor III

I guess having an application version is greater or less than would be nice.

ctangora
Contributor III

If you just run the IS NOT version, it comes back as seeing the old version and the multiple installs get into the group (we don't want that).

What I ended up doing was excluding anyone who had the application receipt from the group, so those that installed it through Self Service got the all clear and didn't get prompted to install it again (goal).

jimlee
New Contributor III

Ahh ok. I'm wondering how this would've worked if it's even possible but glad you found a way.

App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS not 2.8.6p1
App Title HAS Gimp
& App Ver IS not 2.8.6p1

macfu
New Contributor

Thank you for this article it helped figure out how to do this. For compatibility reasons we needed two versions of the same app. We are still on JSS 8.73. Here is what worked for us to have one group to install in two different situations. I posted using the Gimp example.

App Title does not have Gimp
or
App Title has Gimp
&
App Ver is 2.8
&
&
App Ver is 2.8.6

*Update*
After playing with a Smart Group I was able to reduce it even farther