Unable to install Ricoh Printer Driver from Apple Website in Big Sur

sebastianl
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Somehow I am unable to install this driver from Apple website: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1867?locale=en_US

We use Papercut as our printer management, but we are unable to proceed due to the driver issues. Even the PPD driver from Ricoh website does not seem to work.

Anyone using Ricoh MFP in their environment? How do you install printers on your users Macbook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xtian
New Contributor III

Try this Apple Ricoh Driver 3.0 that i modify to install in Big Sur
Ive tested this in our Pharos Environment and works for us
Download

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

joshuasee
Contributor III

Keep in mind those drivers are a couple weeks short of five years old as of this writing, and printing has changed over that time. The install is failing by design, specifically because a line in the install check script stops it if macOS version 11 is detected. You could hack the installer to defeat that script, but I still have my doubts about them working. I would recommend finding a different driver or replacing the printer.

You didn't mention what Ricoh device you're using, but If memory serves, Ricoh copier/printers had PostScript as an optional feature, but the macOS drivers required it. That could be what you're running into with the Ricoh supplied PPD.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Ricoh(5055's & C6004's) and Papercut here. No driver issues in Catalina. We use the postscript drivers on Ricoh's website.
Can't comment on Big Sur as I've blocked it until Sophos gets the lead outta their tookus and releases their BS compatible update.

homepup
New Contributor III

Same issue here and my google-fu isn't finding any answers. My hunch is that it is that the installer isn't properly notarized which is why it won't fly with Big Sur. I might try notarizing it myself for internal use, but I think I tried that back in the summer.

xtian
New Contributor III

Try this Apple Ricoh Driver 3.0 that i modify to install in Big Sur
Ive tested this in our Pharos Environment and works for us
Download

A-ID
New Contributor

xian,

Would you by any chance happen to have the driver for the Ricoh SP 210su for MacOS Monterey version 12.0.1? 

As a matter of fact, actually any Mac driver for the printer model would do I guess.

It would be great help, since its not there in the Apple Ricoh Driver 3.0 pack you posted above,  I already checked.

Many thanks in advance!

I also have the same issue on OS 12.6 , did you find any solution? 

No man, non solution yet. Have even complained to Apple about it.

Let me know if you do find anything or a driver that works for you. I’d
really appreciate it

Thanks
--
Stop>Think>Proceed

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Looking on Ricoh's site they only have W7 and Windows Server 2008R2 as their only drivers for this particular model. That tells me the model is quite old and non-supported so Mac drivers from Ricoh or Apple most likely won't happen. I'd stick with the generic PPD or find something a little newer to kill trees with if that's a possibility.

Here is a list of every supported printer with a driver in macOS.

sebastianl
New Contributor III

Thank you all for the response.
@joshuasee , we are using Ricoh IM C4500 / 6000 MFP. Apparently the drivers in Ricoh website stated it is PPD file but when I dig into /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ it is not in a format I can upload to the policy.

@xtian Thank you for the file. Much appreciated. Does your printing work using this driver?

sebastianl
New Contributor III

@mainelysteve Yes, on Catalina no issues and works like a fly. How did you extract and upload the PPD file as the postscript drivers in Ricoh webpage does not contain the*.gz file? Did you map the printer from Jamf Pro? Care to share how you add the printer in Jamf Pro?
In our environment, we are using Papercut as well and also using virtual printer.

Thanks.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@sebastianl No extracting here. I use the provided pkg with no modifications. The printers I need to map are done through our Munki/Managed Software Center infrastructure. A user picks a printer, clicks install and in the back end it runs a script that uses lpadmin to actually map the printer on the client. It's semi old school as it relies on the driver(the .gz) being installed which as most of us have read are on borrowed time. I don't mess with the printer policies in Jamf Pro as I'd rather a bone headed slip-up or management hiccup not mess with my queues.

Once I upgrade my PaperCut app server I'm going to trial the print deployment tool they have or tempt fate and start using AirPrint. Either way it's best to start prepping for the current and future cups changes to macOS.

sebastianl
New Contributor III

@mainelysteve We actually have the AirPrint working in Papercut on our environment. It works great but AirPrint does not have some printing features (like set dpi) compared to mapping printers. We have yet to try Print Deploy yet and curious as well on how it works. Do post some updates if you get it to work.

Thanks.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I waded into it not long after that post, but the pool was too cold so I got out very quickly. Print Deploy uses Zones based on IP addressing which wouldn't work for me since IP addressing sometimes spans to other buildings on our campus so it was pointless for me to continue down that rabbit hole.

I switched to policies late last year and will begin switching fully over to Mobility Print next year (July, August maybe). That way I get in front of the looming driver removal in CUPs.

We are using Mobility Print in Papercut for quite some time now. It has limited printing options but get the job done. Easy to set up and works really well. I hope you have a good transition to Mobility Print.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We've been using it and it's older implementation for a number of years now with iPads so it's not new to us. It will be for Mac's though.