Unmanaged, but then repaired devices - need to re manage

weaverka
New Contributor II

This is probably kind of a weird situation.

I have a device that the power port was destroyed and repairs were denied.  So I unmanaged the device.  But the battery was dead so I never got the signal.  I later on got he device repaired and I am trying to re manage it.  I can't communicate and get the signals.  I have tried to restore the devices, but because of it being managed I can't restore the OS, it fails each time I try.  

It is not stuck on the restore screen, itunes can see a device, but the restore makes it to the end and says unknown error each time.  Anyone know how to get this running again?

9 REPLIES 9

bootrec
Contributor

If you're talking about an iPhone, can't  you boot it into recovery mode? Are you trying to use iTunes on Windows to restore it? My iTunes on Windows does say "The iPhone could not be restored", but it restores it anyway. Provide more details so that we can help you without making assumptions.

weaverka
New Contributor II

It is an iPad.  I couldn't get any commands from Jamf to hit it, so I attempted to put it into recovery mode, when connected to iTunes via Windows, it says 

"There is a problem with the iPad that requires it to be updated or restored."

When I try to use the Restore it pulls the download and then says there was an unknown error ends the process.

I can't get the exact wording because our network if failing today.  But I have been trying on and off for a couple months now.  Same message.  I am assuming because it is still linked to jamf even though I unmanaged it.  I just don't know.

Is this the error you're seeing (iPad instead of iPhone)? I get this error after attempting a restore, but the iPhone resets and update itself nonetheless. Is the iPad rebooting itself, and showing the welcome "Hello" screen?

bootrec_0-1675271114720.png

weaverka
New Contributor II

I can't recall if that is the specific error, but it is similar.  But not, the device don't do anything.  It stays on the plug in to a computer to restore screen.  I can't do anything with the iPad at present.  It can't move from that screen.

At this point, it might be better for you to use an Apple computer with Apple Configurator, to restore the iPad.

weaverka
New Contributor II

Yeah, that is one of my worries.  My mac is so old I can't even update the os.  

I did just get itunes to run the restore proccess, and the iPad was pulling the download until it got about 3/4 finished.  Then everything quit and I got the Your iPad can't be updated, you must restore to factory settings message (this was during an attempted restore)....

weaverka
New Contributor II

New message is "The iPad could not be restored.  An unknown error occurred (9)"

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Might be a dodgy cable or the Windoze machine has USB issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201444

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

If you support enough iPads I'd think about getting a low end or refurb Mac mini. 

I switched cables last night, came in this morning and it had restored....  Thanks you both!