Update Sierra > High Sierra w Remote Command

JeyT
New Contributor III

Pretty new to Jamf. Question on updating some of my Sierra systems to High Sierra. Created a smart group, have the scope. Can I just send a "Remote Command" at this point? The command says, "Update OS version and built in apps". Is the default action to update to the next version OS, being High Sierra? I know I need the firmware updates, etc., but I don't want to assume that Jamf will not attempt to update to Mohave?

The update action gives me the option "Download the update for users to install" or "Download and install the update, and restart computers after installation". Would like the macs to download locally using their local connectivity and update. Thanks

1 REPLY 1

rhoward
Contributor

Hello!

I would recommend avoiding those commands as you don't have nearly as much control over your deployment. If you want to push out updates I recommend making a policy with the OS Installer being pushed to the Applications folder. We use composer to make a .pkg to do this. Then it's up to you how you want your end user experience to be.

For User Initiated Updates:
We put a script in Self Service that will trigger the installation running something similar to this:

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app" --volume $1 --rebootdelay 30 --nointeraction

For IT Initiated:
We attach the script to that same policy and set it to run as AFTER.

Let me know if you have any other questions!