Updating a package?

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

Our current VLC package that we created with Composer also contains all the default user settings etcetera that we set up. Now that there is a new version to patch the Sparkle vulnerability, is there a way for us to somehow update our existing package with the new version (while not affecting the settings), or do we have to go through the entire process of reimaging a Mac with a clean OS and then creating a whole new package from scratch?

3 REPLIES 3

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

This is a very common problem. Greg Neagle talked about it a couple of days ago at macad.uk in London. His recommendation is to create a clean, unmodified package, and use a config management system to control the settings.

For VLC, we use a configuration profile that stops the software update prompt and a few other keys.

On the packaging side, it's still worth testing the process to make sure everything works correctly. We normally use VMWare fusion for that as we can take a snapshot before the OS gets that package and roll back as many times as we like.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

You can just add the package back into compose, Then 'convert to source'
At this point, You can just delete the old VLC version from the 'Tree' then drag the new version into the same area in Composer, then Re-Package.
If you keep the same name, when you drag it back into Casper Admin, the original links to 'groups / polices etc' will remain in place.. fb7ee35af1f04064b773c5c68eb2ef10

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try those out. Virtual machine snapshot is a good idea too, I hadn't thought of that. I do have a Mac Mini on my desk with ESXi on it so I can use that.