User interaction

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi team,

Can we use the below setting to perform Force update of patches after 15 days? Basically if the users don’t install the patches from self service, we don’t, Jamf to perform force update.

harsha_0-1634729265035.png

6 REPLIES 6

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Mostly depends on what the payload is for your policy. The softwareupdate binary in Big Sur doesn't work the way it used to. Apple is pushing Mac Admins towards triggering software updates with an MDM command. However, this doesn't work that well either, particularly on M1 machines. Managing OS and security updates in Big Sur is mostly broken until Monterey ships. You can read more about this situation here:

Some Mac Admins have moved to using an open source tool called Nudge to....nudge their end users into applying updates via the "consumer method" of using the Software Update pane in System Preferences. There is an excellent JNUC presentation on using Nudge here.

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi damienbarrett,

If i use this below command, when every latest version are available, it downloads automatically(both software and security updates)? 

harsha_0-1634794957413.png

bwoods
Valued Contributor

@harsha I currently use this workflow, but it doesn't work on machines with M1 chips. I also include a jamf helper script to notify the user that the update is about to run with a countdown timer.

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi bwoods,

Can you tell me which workflow are you using?

Can you send the script to notify the user that the update is about to run with a countdown timer?

harsha
New Contributor III

May I know how did you add the countdown timer to run the script?

bwoods
Valued Contributor
#!/bin/bash

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# Initialize Software Update													          #
# Brandon Woods | September 2021														  # 
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

# jamfHelper Variables																	  #

loggedInUser=$( scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name 😕 && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )
jamfHelper="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper"
icon="/System/Library/PreferencePanes/SoftwareUpdate.prefPane/Contents/Resources/SoftwareUpdate.icns"
windowType="hud"
windowPosition="lr"
description="Your Mac is about to install a software update that requires restart. Click 'Start Now' to begin. Otherwise, use the remaining time to sync any unsaved changes to OneDrive. 

Please note that it may take a while for the update to restart your computer."
button1="Start Now"
title="Software Update"
alignDescription="left" 
alignHeading="left"
defaultButton="1"
cancelButton="1"
timeout="900"
alignCountdown="center"

# jamfHelper Window																		  # 

userChoice=$("$jamfHelper" -windowType "$windowType" -windowPosition "$windowPosition" -lockHUD -title "$title" -defaultButton \
"$defaultButton" -button1 "$button1" -description "$description" \
-alignDescription "$alignDescription" -alignHeading "$alignHeading" \
-timeout "$timeout" -countdown -alignCountdown "$alignCountdown")
echo "$(date) Jamf Helper was launched!"

# Being Software Update																	  #

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

exit 0