Users Directory as HD Partition

jafuller
Contributor

Ok folks,
I would like to test using a partition for the Users directory so that we can encapsulate the users data away from the OS but still keep it local. Our design would require that the Users directory is mounted as the Users partition of the HD. All of you that have mad scripting skills, is there a way to do this without using a symbolic link?

Partitions on HD:
Macintosh HD (Primary Boot Volume)
Users (Where I want the Users Directory to be)
Restore (Restore Partition for Reimaging)

Thanks guys and gals!
--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services | Application Developer

7 REPLIES 7

winkelhe
New Contributor

Go the MCX route. I had issues with naming the partition Users so I went with a Data partition with the Users folder on it. Works great.

eric winkelhake
mundocom technology
312 220 1669

dderusha
Contributor

I have no mad scripting skills, but we have been doing the following.

While imaging, you select custom install and add a user. at this time you can modify the users home path.

make it

/Volumes/Users/myusername

in the event of a rebuild, and you want to keep your users data-

When you image, add your user, but don't add the custom path.....allow it to be added to the usual /Users/MyUser

after the computer reboots from imaging, log in as your admin user.

Go to system prefs, and modify the user we want to "relink"
Right click on the user name and go to advanced.

Select the user manually or you can add the path /Volumes/Users/Myuser

Dan De Rusha

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

May I ask why not user symbolic links? The user template automatically goes to /Users on the root volume.

jafuller
Contributor

Hi Eric,
Could you be a little more specific? I'm still trying to pick up as much as I can regarding MCX so any specific direction would help. Thanks!
--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services | Application Developer

winkelhe
New Contributor

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Are you authenticating to a Directory Server? I use the following MCX to create mobile accounts (they don't sync) at login and specify the location.

Mobile Home Location System Level Enforced cachedaccounts.create.location string path
Edit
Delete

Mobile Home Parent Path System Level Enforced cachedaccounts.create.location.path string /Volumes/Data/Users/
Edit
Delete

Create Mobile Home With Local User Template System Level Enforced cachedaccounts.create.useLocalUserTemplate boolean true
Edit
Delete

Create Mobile Account System Level Enforced com.apple.cachedaccounts.CreateAtLogin boolean true
Edit
Delete

Show Mobile Account Dialog System Level Enforced com.apple.cachedaccounts.WarnOnCreate boolean false
Edit
Delete

eric winkelhake
mundocom technology
312 220 1669

Not applicable

we use "external" accounts (has to be a 10.6 server I believe)

set up in WGM - Preferences - Mobility
Account Creation
Options
Home folder location:
at path /Volumes/Data/Users

My machines have a Boot and a Data partition.

HTH

Not applicable

I've been running a User partition on a separate drive since 10.5.x

Log in as root on the local machine and make a symlink of the drive you want to ACT as the Users' container (I call mine Users.. it can be anything you want, but why would you?) ... NOT Apple alias!!!!!! must be symlink!!!

Replace the default Users folder which is in the Root of the Boot drive with this symlink <--- this symlink must be called Users
Reboot, if you want.

PS: Did I mention.... NO APPLE ALIAS...

See screen shots!

![external image link](attachments/f36f8dec84434b66af29ed8f10424b61)
![external image link](attachments/1547f6190965419b896f51a7b5ab7864)
![external image link](attachments/bd7793d9a772479a8770a5aa4e76a0f9)
![external image link](attachments/fa0fb1757cc34993abc385f28fa9651c)